• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

8.8 center pin issue

xjoffroad

Well I'm trying to pull out the c clips to my axle shafts. I have a lock right in the carrier. I'm trying to pull out my center pin and I cant remove it, the ring gear is in the way. It hits the ring gear in both directions when I try to pull it out. Am I doing something wrong?

some gears the thickness of the gear teeth do not allow the center pin to be removed without removing the ring gear bolts. some you can actually grind off the little interference on the outer edge of the tooth to allow it to be removed without interference. if you do that, make sure you do not grind into any contact area of the meshing gears. you should be able to tell the contact area as it will be shiney compared to the rest of the gear teeth area.

i had to do this on my front dana 44 with 4:10 gears. i removed about 1/8 inch on the end of two teeth.

some gears the thickness of the gear teeth do not allow the center pin to be removed without removing the ring gear bolts. some you can actually grind off the little interference on the outer edge of the tooth to allow it to be removed without interference. if you do that, make sure you do not grind into any contact area of the meshing gears. you should be able to tell the contact area as it will be shiney compared to the rest of the gear teeth area.

i had to do this on my front dana 44 with 4:10 gears. i removed about 1/8 inch on the end of two teeth.

funny to said that. I'm looking at the ring gear and it does look like the outer edge was grind off.

I had to grind the gears down to get the pin in when I installed the 4.56's in my 8.8. check both directions maybe the the teeth one way are ground down to get the pin out.

I had to grind the gears down to get the pin in when I installed the 4.56's in my 8.8. check both directions maybe the the teeth one way are ground down to get the pin out.

I got it taken care of. Now I found out the lock right is missing a pin and spring :mad: