• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

8.8 swap

95+ explorers had the disc brakes and 31 spline shafts.

There are a few good writeups out there namely on stu-offroad.com

I know this is for a TJ, but for a YJ... it's even easier.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/8.8axle/8.8axle-1.htm

Some of the things you will need are two of the passenger side brake lines to run yours correctly, and if you want to keep it with the stock width, wheel spacers.

I did not run wheel spacers on the TJ and it does just fine. I did the 8.8 swap on Ann's YJ and it runs just fine without spacers too.

Make sure you weld the tubes to the housing. And I highly reccomend a truss. Also if you are going to use a two piece locker (ARB or DETROIT) I reccomend lock wiring the bolts to the carrier. There have been a few instances of the ring gear coming off the carrier with two piece lockers. (Happened to me, sucked ass)

Thanks, as for lockers I'm trying to decide which ones to get. Ideally I'd like to get the arb but budget wise probably won't work right now. Has anyone used the aussie locker set up and can you use these on the front?

Thanks, as for lockers I'm trying to decide which ones to get. Ideally I'd like to get the arb but budget wise probably won't work right now. Has anyone used the aussie locker set up and can you use these on the front?

I've done a few Aussies on the 8.8's. They work just fine.

And any locker will work in the front. D30? I would just go with a lunchbox (aussie or lock-right).

I have a 8.8 in my TJ, It holds up well and I run 37" sticky Krawlers. I have never heard about welding the tubes but mine has the truss tie to the diff cover, I broke a lockright in mine and then went to a mini spool and have had no issues since.

P1080185.jpg

TM9.jpg

P2100293.jpg

95+ explorers had the disc brakes and 31 spline shafts.

There are a few good writeups out there namely on stu-offroad.com

I know this is for a TJ, but for a YJ... it's even easier.

http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/8.8axle/8.8axle-1.htm

Some of the things you will need are two of the passenger side brake lines to run yours correctly, and if you want to keep it with the stock width, wheel spacers.

I did not run wheel spacers on the TJ and it does just fine. I did the 8.8 swap on Ann's YJ and it runs just fine without spacers too.

Make sure you weld the tubes to the housing. And I highly reccomend a truss. Also if you are going to use a two piece locker (ARB or DETROIT) I reccomend lock wiring the bolts to the carrier. There have been a few instances of the ring gear coming off the carrier with two piece lockers. (Happened to me, sucked ass)

do you want to set up a 9" on a TJ????