• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

81 toyota 4x4 22r wont idle..

Dubshot

Ok I had just gotten a 81 toyota 4x4 and the damn thing just wont idle for some reason.. I can increase the idle screw and it will idle but when i turn it off again and try to start it after that basically it doesnt work still.. Does anybody have any idea whatso ever?? I replaced oil, cap, rotor, plugs, fuel fliter,(unless theres 2), and airfilter.. the fuel filter fills up to about a quarter of the way is what it looks like.. The rig will run if I keep tapping the gas or hold down the gas.. Let me get some ideas guys im toyota dumbfounded here..

:cheer: <-- me trying to figure it out..

Carb

I will be up in your area tomorrow. I could take a look and let you know what may be the problem.
You can PM me your number if you wish to have an extra hand at it.
Rgds,
Dennis

damn..

I dont know if it will be ready for that.. I ordered a new spacer for the carburator (that plastic heat thingy) and new gaskets because I noticed that it was leaking there when I sprayed it with carb cleaner.. But if I get it tomorrow I can use a hand for use.. What time are you going to be in the area? My number is 253-232-5079 and my name is dusty thanks dennis..

Ok USA :awesomework:

Carb

Not really sure on the time. Ill call ya tomorrow and give a heads up. I kinda figured it was a vacume leak of some sort by what you were saying. What motor do you have in the yoda? I believe I have extra spacers and I may have a few gaskets as well. I cant recall if I let them go with the Weber but I'll check tomorrow.
Rgds,
Dennis

Idle solenoid is screwed up or the idle jet is clogged (if the vac leak isn't it) Make sure the idle solenoid is getting power AND it's grounded! (that was a big issue on the Toy powered Chev Novas in the '80s) If the jet is clogged, crossing #1 and #4 wires at the cap with the air cleaner lid off will clear it. Hit the throttle a couple times quick to back fire then put them back where they belong!

Idle solenoid is screwed up or the idle jet is clogged (if the vac leak isn't it) Make sure the idle solenoid is getting power AND it's grounded! (that was a big issue on the Toy powered Chev Novas in the '80s) If the jet is clogged, crossing #1 and #4 wires at the cap with the air cleaner lid off will clear it. Hit the throttle a couple times quick to back fire then put them back where they belong!

Excellent point.:awesomework: You know your carbs well.:cool: I am very surprised at how many people dont know the old backfire trick. That trick works wonders, but I usually find that the jet or jets eventually need pulled and inspected. Only because it never really gets rid of the crap that causes the clog jet.
Rgds,
Dennis

I have never heard of this trick.. Can you explain to me where the idle circut is and where it should be grounded?

I am having a similar problem with my 81 Toyota . I would like to see if this is the problem.

Thanks.

>

Ok heres another problem.. The insulator plate for in between the carb and the intake. The gaskets have formed themselves to it. Whats a good way to remove the gaskets.. Its plastic and i mean its like one with it and I already started scraping and realized that it just might not want to come off. I went to TOYOTA to get another one I had ordered.. it was the wrong part.. Now they tell me they dont make them anymore.. Do you guys have any idea how to get these gaskets off without screwing up the surface on the part?? Its plastic remember..

Ok heres another problem.. The insulator plate for in between the carb and the intake. The gaskets have formed themselves to it. Whats a good way to remove the gaskets.. Its plastic and i mean its like one with it and I already started scraping and realized that it just might not want to come off. I went to TOYOTA to get another one I had ordered.. it was the wrong part.. Now they tell me they dont make them anymore.. Do you guys have any idea how to get these gaskets off without screwing up the surface on the part?? Its plastic remember..

I'm not sure if the gasket removal spray will work or not. I used to take a razor and peel the old gaskets off carefully. NAPA may have the gasket available at the warehouse store in Kent (open till 9PM)

I have never heard of this trick.. Can you explain to me where the idle circut is and where it should be grounded?

I am having a similar problem with my 81 Toyota . I would like to see if this is the problem.

Thanks.

Got a pic of the top of the carb? The solenoid screws into the side near the top. A bottle of Lucas fuel system cleaner will help eat whatever caused the clog after a backfire cleans it out.

New problem!

I was driving home today when all of the sudden I had NO electrical.. I mean nothing at all.. I had to let it roll down a hill and basically pop it to start it and then keep tapping the gas pedal to keep it running.. Has anybody ran into this problem and if so what was it.. I have no electrical.. It wont turn no gauges, signals, lights nothing.. Please any info will help its my DD..

ok im having the same prob with my 82 but it looks like mine is missing a spring that goes to the plate the idle skrew touches so check that out. ???????

Latest posts