• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

81 toyota charging

shane416ex

I have an 81 toyota 4x4. Totally bone stock. Charge light came on the other day. Replaced the alt and it's putting out 14.3 volts but the charge light is still on. Ideas? Also it's a black plug alternator.

Mine does the same thing... not sure why. I removed the charge light relay and the light is off now. Its an idiot light I think. I have the SR5 gauge monitoring volts and I have had zero charging issues in over a year of the relay being removed. Try that, worst case you might have a dead batt in a hour of driving. Or I guess you could pull the cluster and remove the light bulb.

My charge light and oil light would do odd things. I removed the oil light sender off the motor and removed the charge light relay... no issues and no lights.

That charge light relay you speak of has a soldier crack on one of the connections inside...FIXED my 81 with the same issue by closely examining the soldiered connections inside the relay, determine which has the crack, and resoldier...Viola...No mo light on! :awesomework:

It's the relay...been down this road already (twice actually on two different rigs..) If it is charging, it is not the regulator...:awesomework:

Latest posts