• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

81 toyota project

nothing new, been to busy on home projects over the summer, the poor thing just sat in the garage. maybe this winter ill find something to chage, who knows...

Well its time for a little change. the weather is nasty and I want to go wheeling without sitting in the rain. Plans are to put a cab back on the truck. most of the tube work was made to fit inside the body to begin with so im taking a cab, welding the seams shut, hollowing out the inside and back wall and hopefully come out with a cab shell and widshield that two people can lift up and bolt in onto the cage...

my new cab...
toyotabuild002-1.jpg

Nice build. Look forward to bumping into you on the trails some time:cool:

I have a question on your steering ram / clearance / bump stop issue. Cause I am dealing with that exact thing now in my rig. I noticed you put the ram under the steering arm. How does it not push into the spring pack on the LF when full lock turn to the right? To combat the twist in my steering arm I am thinking of going with heims. Not even sure that will work any better though. I am also dealing with the bump stop issue a bit. :mad:

I like the sheet metal in place. There was a pic right before the one of the cab in pieces that looked sick! :cool:

Kinda funny to see Keith's old truck in the background. Is that thing still around?

It will probably have that paint for a little while but it will eventually become green like it used to be.

The way I used to have the steering had a lot of twist as well. The way it is now, inline with everything, has no twist. The ram is mounted far enough over so at full extension it is just short of hitting the leaf springs. I was also thinging of going with heims but i tried ram relocaton first and it worked. Another reason for moving the steering ram was to get it off the top of the axle, my oil pans were taking a beating. With moving my ram down and I also moved my enginge back I no longer have any front end to engine contact and it has been working fine with no bumpstops.

One of my good friends baught keith's truck and still has it and cruises it every day.

and updade on the cab, got most of it hollowed out and got it on the truck. it is going alot easier that planned. just need to do some small trimming for a snug fit and fender trimming and make some tabs to mount it. I was also abe to keep wiper moter and linkage so ill have wiper to:awesomework:

1120092105.jpg

Nice! Looking good...the paint is..a little "different"

Thanks for the info on the steering. I'm going with heims. If that doesn't work I will be relocating the ram...again:awesomework:

well the fancy paint didnt last long, I got it all painted green. Got it all to fit pretty good and its an easy on and off with 2 people. There was a group of locals going up to Tahuya last sunday so i figured id test out the cab. I do like having one back on and it didnt rattle like i thought it would. didnt have the best of luck right when we got there I went down the new rock hill and then wend to try anarchy hill and only had 3 wheel drive. Sheered of all my hub studs on the pas side. Oh well just drove around in 2wd the rest of the day.

toyotabuild014.jpg

toyotabuild010-1.jpg

toyotabuild015.jpg

Update

got a small update, had some bumpstops laying around so i got those on. My new headers showed up and got those on, just need to run exhaust now. had to remount my alternator. Had a NWoffroad bracket for years and finaly get to use it.

toyotabuild002-2.jpg

toyotabuild003-2.jpg

toyotabuild006-2.jpg

toyotabuild007-2.jpg

toyotabuild004-1.jpg

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5VX-9zpArY[/YT]

There used to be a Toy in Shelton that had that same paint job awhile back. I've haven't seen it in nearly 10 years but I don't think that there could be to many Toys running around with that wild paint job. Bitchin Yota :D

Interior was pretty much gone when i got the cab, only thing that was saved is top pad cover for dash, steering column, and rear window with slider.

what are the tires! and rims and off set!

oh ya and this is a sweet build man! bad ass yota