• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

'84 yota long bed build

Did you put the wide rearend in yet?

Hurry up, get it done :redneck:

yeah, it's in there for the moment. so are the spacers.... front track is 79", rear track is 80"... i'm working on it... i only get up every couple weekends while i'm going to college. dad does do some work while i'm gone. the 400 dollars for parts i had this month had to go to the Department of licensing, to transfer my atv into my name and get new plates and tabs for the suzuki... this month i have to reseal the suzuki engine, but am ordering the crossmember center, crawl box rebuild kit and a bunch of other stuff... going as fast as i can afford... i need to make it to the junkyard and find a new rotor and caliper for the subaru so i can sell that for parts money.

ETA is late summer for her to be wheeling... i have a break in 2 months to work for 10 days straight on the truck then i have the last half of august and the first 24 days of sept to work on her. other than that it's just odd weekends that i don't have homework to head north...

Last edited:
I like the way you put this thing together with the low and wide stance very cool. that is what I am aiming for with my truck:cool:
yeah, attempting to keep as low as possible center of gravity. i'm only 5' 6" so it looks bigger than it is. the roof sits at about 75", the belly will be flat to the frame rails at about 27.5" and the wheelbase is approx. 111". definitely a work in progress. this weekend i'll be trying to hit up pull-a-part for some brake parts, so that I can sell the soob for toyota parts cash.

There was a buttload of Subarus at the Lynnwood Pull-A-Part not to many weeks ago. Ther is also a bunch at the Tacoma Pull-A-Part.

I just put disks on the rear of my Toyota. Still need to change the master cylinder. :awesomework:

There was a buttload of Subarus at the Lynnwood Pull-A-Part not to many weeks ago. There is also a bunch at the Tacoma Pull-A-Part.

I just put disks on the rear of my Toyota. Still need to change the master cylinder. :awesomework:

yeah but are they EA81's? that's the problem. well not much of one, but i'll be calling and asking. they have to be vented front rotors and caliper, off a 4wd wagon 1980-1984 or a a hatch/sedan 1980-1988. then a rear strut off an ea82, install the parts and ready to sell. it needs a new tranny, the output bearing is slowly going bad, but i have another tranny that is included with the car.

sweet! how much did those disc's set you back?

Last edited:
Are you going to do anything about the poprivits sticking up through the floor? That would bug me, my boot would keep getting caught on them. Just curious, maybe it's not an issue for you...

as for the rivets, they don't stick up anywhere you'd actually be able to set your feet, unless you have midget feet and stick them under the pedals while you drive, which i rekon isn't too safe... i tried catching my feet on them with my gum rubber hiking boots, ain't happening in any comfortably sitting manner, now if you tweak your leg all screwed up... then you might drag on them.

well some new bling came in the mail for the truck. i'll actually install it on the truck when i get the bed built. but here's some mock up pics.

P4162652.jpg

P4162656.jpg

P4162653.jpg

figure i should up date my to do list and all that good stuff. some plans have changed, but most have stayed fairly similar.

Dimensions and specs present and planned:
approx. 111" wheel base
28" to the belly
75" to the roof
79" bulge to bulge up front
80" bulge to bulge in the rear
39.5 iroks
beadlocks

Engine Bay
22r propane injected
tc modified high pressure saginaw steering box
pwr steering cooler
larger pwr steering resivoir
new radiator, w/dual electric cooling fans
high amp alternator

Cab and frame
bobbed rear frame
stuffed winch up front
rear winch
internal cage
tubbed and trimmed fenders
Half doors
suspension seats

Transmission and transfercase
5 speed forward shift
dual cases (front case 2.28, rear case 23 spline 4.7 twin sticked)
crawl box and tcase fully rebuilt
flatbelly

Frontend
modified rears up front
modified chevy shackles
14" travel bilstiens w/shock hoops
front square drive shaft
fully trussed and rebuilt front axle
5.29 gears
30 spline longfields
Aussie locker
hi steer w/flat pitman arm
5th stud knuckle mod
arp steering studs
Hydraulic assist
2" spacers

Rearend
Waggy 5 leafs
V6 widetrack axle housing
fully rebuilt
rear axle housing truss
5.29 gears
spool
chromoly rear shafts
14" travel bilstiens
2" spacers
(eventually down the road, 1/4 elliptic, dual triangulated 4link, 10 more inches off the rear of the frame)

i'm sure i missed a thing or two, but that's the basic outline.

Last edited:
waiting to get a the flat steering arm back... they sent me one for a chevy tierod end... and i'm waiting on a backpay check from the Veteran's Administration so i can buy all my parts from longfield and most of the stuff i need from trail gear... it's becoming a constant waiting game... and my daily driver keeps eating my money one bearing, belt or problem at a time...

it's a good yard ornament... i almost got enough funds in savings for a large purchase at trail-gear to get the axles truss, rebuild kits, hyd assist steering, chromo rear axles and everything else i need from them. then for the bobby longs, and rebuild kit for the crawlbox for my doubler. my pay is finally fixed so i've just been saving the backpays and money each month. with luck i'll have the order in at trail-gear next month.

all the clutch parts for my s10 4.3L pickup finally came in, which is what i've been preoccupied with fixing for the last month. i kept getting parts on backorder and holding up progress. Hopefully this weekend we'll have the ceterforce in and my "new" Daily Driver back on the road. i no longer have the sami...
next weekend i'm planning on putting the rest of the parts back in the subaru, then a shakedown run at evan's creek the weekend after thanksgiving. nothing hard, i'm not trying to break the car before i can put it back up for sale. Then the Hatch Patrol annual christmas tree run in greenwater on Dec. 6th. then if i can make the purchase at trail gear i might have some progress next month.

Last edited:
in progress... presently rebuilding the rear end, doing the install for the gears/spool, chromoly shaft install, stripping and rebuilding the rear bearing hubs for disc brakes, along with setting up a carrier for the front aussie locker... I'll post progress pictures in a couple days, i forgot my camera cable on the peninsula...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, I'm finally getting some wrench time while I'm on spring break. I'm presently rebuilding the rear end. Removed the old shafts, which in the process of maxing out my 20 ton press and having to tap on the shaft to get them off... I bent the heck out of the backing plates, and now will have to go to disc brakes a lot sooner than planned... Since the drum brakes will have to go away now, I stripped the brake parts off and got it down to just the bare hubs, I took them to Alternative Blasters in Marysville and got them blasted. Painted the hubs with 2 coats of hunter green, still need to put on one more coat of paint on wednesday. Then we disassembled the rear differential to prep for the gear and spool install. I took the open carrier from the rear and started prepping it for my front Aussielocker. After finally getting the carrier disassembled and the spider gears out, we measured the carrier pin where the spider gears rode for wear and the center pin was out of spec for using the locker. (the spider gears had been locking up and acting like a welded diff spurattically) Luckily we found another open carrier in the garage with an excellent center pin. Not sure where it came from, must of been when I got a bunch of toy axle parts for the subaru, and I just don't remember. Anyways I'll be finishing setting up the locker on wednesday, along with adding the last coat of paint to the hubs, finish removing the the bearing races from the carrier, finish cleaning the carrier and start the spool and gear install. The rest of the week i'll be finishing the axle. I'll try to start posting pics tonight...

Last edited:

Latest posts