• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

85 yota wont run after submerged

Dunejunkie

Looking for advice.

Last week I dropped in a water hole on one side that submerged my airbox/AFM. It sat under muddy water for about 5 to 10 minutes. The air box/ filter was full of water.

I have replaced the filter, cleaned out the AFM, new plugs so far. It will start and run for a couple seconds then dies.

This also happens when I bypass the AFM, and short out the test plug on the drivers side to run the fuel pump.

I'm not sure if the AFM is shot after sitting mostly underwater for that long?

It's a 85 4-runner with 22re.

Thanks

Last edited:
Looking for advice.

Last week I dropped in a water hole on one side that submerged my airbox/AFM. It sat under muddy water for about 5 to 10 minutes. The air box/ filter was full of water.

I have replaced the filter, cleaned out the AFM, new plugs so far. It will start and run for a couple seconds then dies.

I'm not sure if the AFM is shot after sitting mostly underwater for that long?

It's a 85 4-runner with 22re.

Thanks

Was the passenger side at the passengers feet full of water too?

The air box is on the passenger side, and battery on the drivers side. (it was like that when I got it)

There was a little water on the floor board on passenger side. Maybe an inch.

You thinking the ECU?

I did read on another forum that the ECU on these can't be reset by pulling the fuse and or battery cable.

Is there anyway to reset the ECU? Or is my next step to replace it?

I think I may have rulled out the AFM when I by passed it with the test plug to run the fuel pump, but I'm not sure.

Last edited:
I had one I worked on that started and ran a few seconds and died like that after a deep puddle. Ended up where I had to cut the top of the AFM open (the black cover siliconed on) and dump the water out of the mechanism in there, then sealed it back up with some fresh silicone. It looked sealed, but obviously wasn't. Cleaned it out with some contact cleaner and it fired up and ran fine again.

~T.J.

Hi All:

Interesting thread!

Could you please explain what "AFM" stands for??

Thanks!

Alan

Did this to my old 85 about a year ago. Sunk up past the tops of the seats:redneck: If the ecu got wet, and even a little splash, take it aapart and blow it out. Same with the afm. And some contact cleaner(I use wd-40)

Bad ecu

Ended up being a bad ECU.

Used a buddies ECU and runs like a champ. I took mine appart and it was nasty, tried cleaning it out, but no luck.

Anyone have a ECU for 22RE let me know...I also posted in the wanted section.

Thanks for the advice!

Ended up being a bad ECU.

Used a buddies ECU and runs like a champ. I took mine appart and it was nasty, tried cleaning it out, but no luck.

Anyone have a ECU for 22RE let me know...I also posted in the wanted section.

Thanks for the advice!

I have tons of them.

Hit me up on da phone.