• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

95.5-2000 Tacoma Recall

archer1965

I know of at least a couple other Taco owners on here besides me so thought I'd post this.
Toyota is recalling 800,000+ Tacomas built from '95 to 2000 for severe rust problems of the frame. Some 2001 models have also been included.

If you own a Taco, regardless of where/who you bought it from or it's current condition, you need to get it inspected. The frames were not coated properly with rust inhibitor and can fail catastrophically. :eeek:
Toyota has increased the warranty on the frame to 15 years.

When your truck is inspected, Toyota will either give you a loaner car and fix it, or buy back the truck at 1.5XKBB value (again, regardless of condition). :eek:

Here's the link to the Pirate thread http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=671318

and a link to a Toyota website http://blog.lexus.com/2008/03/living-up-to-ou.html#more

This sucks, but shows a true committment to customer satisfaction. :cool:

Last edited:
Sadly, that's what Toyota gets for trying to go cheap on the frame, while other manufacturers started beefing them up! Hell, every company but Toyota boasts fully boxed frames now!

It is good, though, that they are trying to make right.

perfect timing, hopefully they will give me money for it and not a loaner as i want to sell it anyways.

Why do you want to get rid of the Tacoma? I like it, myself. How is it going with the wheeler? I would like to see you out on the trail someday.

, but shows a true committment to customer satisfaction. :cool:

You're kidding right?

In the corporate world it's all about CYA

Cover Your Ass

It has nothing to do with customer satisfaction and everything to do with covering their ass from legal fall out, and believe me they would have done some serious math to determine what would be more expensive, the recall...or the law suits.

Sadly, that's what Toyota gets for trying to go cheap on the frame, while other manufacturers started beefing them up! Hell, every company but Toyota boasts fully boxed frames now!

It is good, though, that they are trying to make right.

the frame design isn't the issue, the rustproofing process is the reason for the recall.

You're kidding right?

Cover Your Ass

It has nothing to do with customer satisfaction and everything to do with covering their ass from legal fall out, and believe me they would have done some serious math to determine what would be more expensive, the recall...or the law suits.

of course it's CYA. but they could have been like Ford or GM and just put out a shitty product, knowing it's shitty, and sell it anyway.
I've owned several GM products and NEVER was notified of a recall on any of them. Toyota sent me a letter and I'm the second owner. I'm satisfied. :flipoff:

Take a look at the stock prices of Toyota, Ford, and GM and tell me which company investors put their trust in more? :corn:

You're kidding right?

Cover Your Ass

You are right.... but, kinda like Archer said, Toyota recalled several million trucks a few years ago, because during the manufacture/packaging process, the ball joints on the Tacoma may have been scratched, leading to premature wear. There had been no reports of an accident at that time. Some of my "Ford friends" and "GM tough guys" :flipoff: were giving me **** because "my company" had more recalls than either US company that year. I am sorry, but a scuffed ball joint is hardly a concern of mine.

On the other hand, during the same year, Ford had their F-series trucks' airbags going off while driving, the same trucks steering controls/cruise modules catching on fire, and the Focus recieved somewhere around 15 recalls that year alone! :haha:
I can't remember if GM had any issues that year, per se. They are actually getting their **** together lately. :awesomework:

You guys are missing the point...it has nothing to do with how one company does business vs. the other.

It has to do with a committe of "experts" sitting down and figuring out the dollar value of a recall vs. individual law suits.

Do you really think an automotive manufcaturer's 1st priortiy is moral values towards it's customers?

Or is it the bottom line to it's stakeholders?

Or is it the bottom line to it's stakeholders?

Brad nailed it...

Almost every manufactuer out there has a commitie of lawers that look at the facts and the potentials of a problem and wage the cost's.

They also usually have a commitie also for the sole purpose of bulletins that are released. With GM they also have pre released bulletins that you will never find in the general public unless said info is posted from a tech...

Bottom line----its about the $$$

After looking at my frame, I do have rust issues going on and will be taking my truck in for inspection. Hopefully they buy it back so i dont have to deal with selling it :cheer: *off to go find some salt water to drive thru*

I guess I am just used to small business where we at least try to do right by folks, and do, admittedly, try to make them happy so they come back!

If something is unsatisfactory in my pharmacy, I feel we do alot to make the person happy, knowledgable, and hopefully better. If somebody needs something, and either doesn't have the money, or maybe ran out of refills, we try to work with them in many ways to help them acheive their goal. I attribute that to the fact that we AREN'T a large corporation.