• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

96 5.7l oil filter dilema

sucmah

Ok, i have a 96 350 chev and the oil filter housing bolts on to the block with two bolts and the filter threads on horizontle(sp??) but the filter sticks out into where my exhaust runs so i need some sort of adapter that has that same two bolt pattern but makes the filter thread on verticaly. anyone know of such a thing??

ide think youll hafta go to a remote filter setup....i havent ever seen an adapter to move the filter like you describe...

the problem is my exhaust hits the housing itself not just the filter that spins on the housing, i need something that bolts in place of the stock adapter with ports pointing down for a remote filter, perma-cool has one that bolts on for 57 and later gm v8 but their tech support said it wouldnt bolt on my block,
but the guy on the phone didnt sound like he really knew his stuff, im still hunting.

sucmah said:
the problem is my exhaust hits the housing itself not just the filter that spins on the housing, i need something that bolts in place of the stock adapter with ports pointing down for a remote filter, perma-cool has one that bolts on for 57 and later gm v8 but their tech support said it wouldnt bolt on my block,
but the guy on the phone didnt sound like he really knew his stuff, im still hunting.

The last remote oil filter setup I dealt with on that syle--the adapter bolted to where the filter screwed onto the stock adapter..

i think im going to have to find a stock gm part for this, alot of guys seem to have luck with a fitting that threads into the block but my block has no threaded hole for this, just the two 5/16 holes for the stock adapter bolts.

sucmah said:
i think im going to have to find a stock gm part for this, alot of guys seem to have luck with a fitting that threads into the block but my block has no threaded hole for this, just the two 5/16 holes for the stock adapter bolts.

wish I had a G van here at work with a vortec motor to look at as they use a different adapter with a verticle filter...

crash, do you know what year the the threaded hole in the block went away?? at least on 5.7's that is...the 4.3's seem to be different for some reason.

sucmah said:
crash, do you know what year the the threaded hole in the block went away?? at least on 5.7's that is...the 4.3's seem to be different for some reason.

I think in 96' if memory serves me correctly.

Ok the G van does use an adapter with a verticle oil filter. And from the looks of it you could either re-work the oil cooler lines or get new lines from the same G-van to make it work. Just not 100% sure on the front diff clearance on a stock IFS rig...

Clearance wont be an issue....cooler is eliminated...thanks alot crash, i really appreciate the help. oh...what the hell is a g-van(i think this is a full size van???)

Also since you are eliminating the cooler lines you can internally drill the adapter and plug the cooler lines ports since the cooler lines are in series with the oil filter..

sucmah said:
Series???if thats the case then oil would not return to the block, i think you mean parrallel???

I should try harder to actually type what I am thinking,lol..:mad:

But yes--in paralell...

sucmah said:
Series???if thats the case then oil would not return to the block, i think you mean parrallel???

Believe Crash is right on this one, series.
If they are in parallel, the oil would choose the path of least resistance and either exclusively use the oil filter or cooler.
Being in series, oil will travel thru the cooler (if first) and then continue thru the filter.
If I understand what the modifications are that Crash explained,
"internally drill the adapter and plug the cooler lines ports"
This would indicate a new path would have to be made for oil going to the oil filter not using the cooler.

Last edited:
ok, makes sense...so you drill between the two ports just inside the adapter and then plug em off. Gotchya

ok, need more help, even a straight down filter adapter might interfer with links and such it looks like so the ideal part will be a block off plate with the two tapped holes for a remote filter setup, anyone ever seen one for a 96 vortec motor? I see lots for the older style motors(i think) but it doesnt look like the back sealing surfaces on these block offs go far enough up into the block to work.