• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

96 Ford Powerstroke help

sledneck

1996 7.3 completely stock. 268xxx miles. Leaving work the other day truck died on me seemed like typical CPS problem. I actually had 1 in the truck. I replaced and truck fired up, stumbled a bit for a out 30 sec and then ran fine. Coming to work this morning truck did the same thing. It did seem like it was down on power a bit then felt really strong before it died. It did start back up after a min or 2 and seemed to run fine. I only drove it a short distance as I went home to switch cars. Any help is appreciated. Only difference I can think of is where I bought fuel. Truck has ran perfect before this week.

Or fuel pump or both.....been through three pumps on mine on one fuel filter; both are easy to check

There's a screen on the fuel pickup in the tank, I took mine off and bent the return line away from the pickup. Sounds exactly like what mine was doing. I changed pump, filter before Matt helped me on here. I'm sure he'll chime in super smart ford guy.

Poolman, if it was the screen in the tank can is it safe to say I should be able to switch tanks and note if it dies on the other tank? I know enough about diesels to get myself in trouble.

Does the truck have dual tanks? Our brush truck at the FD is the exact same truck and had the same symptoms. Ended up being the change over valve sticking between tanks and sucking air into the system. Had that replaced a year ago and no problems since. But of course this would not apply if you have only one tank booyang

Well if the filter doesn't help, i'd look in to the change over valve (I believe that's what it's called). Ours would run fine, lose power, then shut off. Let it sit a while and it would run fine for a while longer and do it all over again

That works too. I got one from advance in a pinch a couple weeks ago. Sumbitch stumbled and **** the whole way home. Took it out and got my damn money back the next day.

Latest posts