• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

96 H.O. into 91 XJ...

Spanaway Mudder

I bought a rather low mile 96 four liter to replace my seized up 91 H.O. engine..

Iam noticing alot of similar and non-similar items on it such as the timing chain and gears, distributer and such..

just wondering if Iam going to run into a road block or if the newer engine will run just fine with my older first gen H.O. system? Would like to keep the dizzy in there so I dont EFF it up by being off a tooth.:awesomework:

Last edited:
Yes it'll be fine. It's not uncommon for guys to replace hi-mile OBD1 systems with a newer OBD2 longblock.

I'd have to check on the dizzy though, I think they're the same but I can check. There's a wealth of 4.0 swap knowledge over at cjoffroad.com

**edit** waiting on a PM from my source over there, get back later.

Last edited:
Yes it'll be fine. It's not uncommon for guys to replace hi-mile OBD1 systems with a newer OBD2 longblock.

I'd have to check on the dizzy though, I think they're the same but I can check. There's a wealth of 4.0 swap knowledge over at cjoffroad.com

**edit** waiting on a PM from my source over there, get back later.

Thanks... Figured that auburn auto guru dude would chime in...meh:rolleyes: owell:haha:

Still haven't gotten anything back on the other board. Worse case- stab it in, hook it up, and see what happens. You can aways swap the dizzy after everything else is in.

Still haven't gotten anything back on the other board. Worse case- stab it in, hook it up, and see what happens. You can aways swap the dizzy after everything else is in.

true...

installed new timing chain today and gaskets along with oilpan gasket..

working on hard dirt is a PITA... hopefully it will be running by sundown today.. Driving a S10 Blazer around sucks ass:mad:...

Did you do the rear main while you had it apart? You know it's only a matter of time.

limited funs:mad:...stand by for futer bitching thread:redneck:...

I have a rear main for my 90 xj's engine... but couldnt find it when I was home... and couldnt afford to buy a new one...so I will deal with it..

Talk about luck tho..this engine is nice n clean, hardly any sludge built up in the oil pan and valve cover:awesomework:...

Engine is in, but need to finish going over it and tightening everything down along with installing the starter and front clip section (headlights n grill)...figure I will have it finished tomarow...mid day...

Oil pressure sender is derferant and engine/head temp sensor needed to be changed also..so far thats it...I hope the dizzy will work:eeek:

Here is the deal on the dizzy...they are interchangeable.

However the cam sensor inside changed. Here is the qoute from MartySoCal on CJOffroad.com

The distributors are interchangeable if the electrical connector will fit on the cam sensor. The style of cam sensor changed in around '92 or '93, later models have it right under the cap as a removeable plate, early models require disassembly of the distributor to acess the cam sensor. If the connectors are different, swap the whole distributor.

I ment there is a rubber seal in the center that goes out with out warning
Yes...Changed front seal when timing cover was off..used a seal press to install it also..the only thing Iam not doing right (due to funds) is the rear main...

Here is the deal on the dizzy...they are interchangeable.

However the cam sensor inside changed. Here is the qoute from MartySoCal on CJOffroad.com

Sweet..Thanks Jim:awesomework:

Yes...Changed front seal when timing cover was off..used a seal press to install it also..the only thing Iam not doing right (due to funds) is the rear main...

Sweet..Thanks Jim:awesomework:

so, gabe, your going to install another motor, and hook everything up.. change the front main seal... and your not going to spend 18.99 on a new rear main seal?

:rolleyes:

If you need any pictures or anything i have a OBD2 96 cherokee in my garage with most of the wiring hooked up.

If you need any pictures or anything i have a OBD2 96 cherokee in my garage with most of the wiring hooked up.

Thanks for the tips:awesomework:

ITS A RUNNER!!!!!:D:cheer:

ONLY thing I had to change over was the oil pressure gauge and block temp sensor:awesomework:

Going outside to giver it a bath now!!!!

OH AND ITS A STRONG RUNNER ALSO!!!!

2 bad this XJ is for street use only... "for now":eeek:

STUPID FAWKING LEAKING HEATERCORES!!!!!!!:mad::mad::mad:

Left spanaway (right next to lake n golfcourse) at dusk... due to over heating, I made it home by 1:45ish AM....

but its staying cool now and Iam good:awesomework:

I just did a Renix to OBD2 swap. Not too bad really, but you need a complete rig to pull parts from. Everything is diffrent, engine harness, dash harness and rear wiring harness. Oh and yes the renix pump WILL work. I had to use a OBD1 fuel rail becouse OBD2 the pressure reg is intank.

Stu

I just did a Renix to OBD2 swap. Not too bad really, but you need a complete rig to pull parts from. Everything is diffrent, engine harness, dash harness and rear wiring harness. Oh and yes the renix pump WILL work. I had to use a OBD1 fuel rail becouse OBD2 the pressure reg is intank.

Stu

Good 2 know:awesomework:

Cherokeefever (on wow's forum) also did the swap..running a XJ longblock with all H.O. parts on the engine in his 95 XJ....:redneck: