• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

97 chev 4wd problems

boardbysled

Tree Nerd.
1997 Chevy 2500 4wd, 8 lug, sf14 bolt, manual t-case, 4l80e, Vortec 350

I am having problems with the 4wd, as the front end doesn't want to engage. It worked a few times when I bought it and right after, but now will not engage at all. It seemed to engage pretty quickly at first, but the last few times, it has been a bot stubborn. Can tell its npt in 4wd by both the indicator light, and it will not provide power to the front tires. Goes into 4hi and 4low just fine, no abnormal noises. If there is a problem, will it throw a code? What is some of the common issues that cause this?

Hop under the rig and look at the actuator and tell me if it has a connector(plastic looking one) or a wire coming out of it to a connector(metal looking style)..

I'm not sure which one it is, here's a picture.
252014_245635918790216_100000314301973_777904_8224106_n.jpg

I just went out, and tried to shift it in and out of 4low, and even when in neutral, it does not want to shift, it clunks and grinds.:mad: but doesn't make any noise when shifting in and out of 4hi.

Last edited:
Thats the early thermal style. There is an updated electric unit that you have to get a harness for also(factory update).

4lo can be a chore some times to get into. Is yours floor shift or push button?

Thats the early thermal style. There is an updated electric unit that you have to get a harness for also(factory update).

4lo can be a chore some times to get into. Is yours floor shift or push button?

Floor shift.

So, take it to the dealer, and get the updated unit?

I checked at the fuse, and checked at the actuator plugs, and got 12v at both those, so it points towards the actuator. Found a replacement one on rockauto, but Ill probably just get it at Oriellys. $60 and done.:D

Every truckor tahoe i have had the accuator is always bad. I just picked up 98 tahoe and same problem.