• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

97 Dodge clutch?

briejer

I need a clutch for my Dodge and do not have the money for the fancyclutch that comes this the larger flywheel.

What is a decent clutch that wont put me in the poor house

Truck is a dually 5 speed with a govenor kit, fuel plate, intake , exhaust. 4.10 gears and 36" tires

Not band, just lazy.

As stated, I do not have money for a southbend clutch(I could, but would have to stop all work on the buggy and bring it home.

Is there a middle of the road alternative?

Not band, just lazy.

As stated, I do not have money for a southbend clutch(I could, but would have to stop all work on the buggy and bring it home.

Is there a middle of the road alternative?

I would be willing to say (but haven't checked) that a south bend con-o isn't any more expensive than a stock replacement... And you won't have to get the upgraded fly wheel...

I would be willing to say (but haven't checked) that a south bend con-o isn't any more expensive than a stock replacement... And you won't have to get the upgraded fly wheel...

$400 for the southbend that does not require a flywheel change

$216 for a Rico clutch from my local parts house

is their that much difference?

yes there is....your other option is callin down to southside brake and clutch,they made one for my friends blown big block,with a better material on the disk,and stiffer springs in the pressure plate.. i have the 13.25" south bend in my dodge and like it alot. well worth the money IMHO. you might call fullywrecked and see if he has a clutch hangin around...

Southbend or nothing for me.
You NEED a 13" clutch for towing. The 12 1/8 stock clutch will not hold up to a guy like you (no pun intended). At least get a con "O" 13" conversion. Call Mike Ramos at the powershop and he usually has them in stock. The problem is the clutch hub on the 12" stock clutch is too small to hold the weight and power you are producing. The 13" has a way larger hub and will take the towing duties you put it through. Towing and hauling a camper just requires a larger clutch and if you don't get one this time around you will be in the same fix soon again. All the new dodges come with a 13" after 2001. I have a 13" stock clutch for a 2001. The only problem is you need the flywheel and input shaft change to make it work.

Southbend or nothing for me.
You NEED a 13" clutch for towing. The 12 1/8 stock clutch will not hold up to a guy like you (no pun intended). At least get a con "O" 13" conversion. Call Mike Ramos at the powershop and he usually has them in stock. The problem is the clutch hub on the 12" stock clutch is too small to hold the weight and power you are producing. The 13" has a way larger hub and will take the towing duties you put it through. Towing and hauling a camper just requires a larger clutch and if you don't get one this time around you will be in the same fix soon again. All the new dodges come with a 13" after 2001. I have a 13" stock clutch for a 2001. The only problem is you need the flywheel and input shaft change to make it work.

If he were to slide the plate back he could tow fine with a 12" con-o

If he were to slide the plate back he could tow fine with a 12" con-o

I still fully disagree. The clutch hub is too small for towing as heavy as he is. If your going to cut corners just put a cheap one in and run it, why waste money for a con "O" if it is just a 12" clutch? Look at both of them and you will understand why. :redneck:

I still fully disagree. The clutch hub is too small for towing as heavy as he is. If your going to cut corners just put a cheap one in and run it, why waste money for a con "O" if it is just a 12" clutch? Look at both of them and you will understand why. :redneck:

I know multiple people who were able to tow perfectly fine, and put down 400-500 horse... This was back before the 13" conversion was available... Now I know they weren't using the con-o, but its the same center section, which in most cases is the failure point...

I put a South Bend 13.25" CON-O clutch and flywheel in my 97 Dodge last year. Very happy with it.

I vote to pony up and do it right the first time. It's always costs more to do it twice.

I know multiple people who were able to tow perfectly fine, and put down 400-500 horse... This was back before the 13" conversion was available... Now I know they weren't using the con-o, but its the same center section, which in most cases is the failure point...

who was running 400-500 hp back when they didn't have 13"??

who was running 400-500 hp back when they didn't have 13"??

One person was Lenny in his white 95.... I remember the day the 13" showed up... No one knew anything about them... And i remember the first trip with that clutch... couldn't hold jack...

well knowing the way Lenny drives. I call BS..

Call BS all you want... I grew up with that shop and him around, i fully know what he is capable of... That trucks been through alot, and made alot of power before people ever really discovered major diesel power... For example, that truck made 500 at one of the first may madness's... If you get on diesel dynamics web-site (if its still up) you can find videos...

Call BS all you want... I grew up with that shop and him around, i fully know what he is capable of... That trucks been through alot, and made alot of power before people ever really discovered major diesel power... For example, that truck made 500 at one of the first may madness's... If you get on diesel dynamics web-site (if its still up) you can find videos...

I remember when he moved out here and started the shop. Remember i'm not new to this thing.