• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

97 powestroke issues

sexxy

Bought my 97 powerstroke about a year ago with a bad engine. Had a used one installed and been upgrading/repairing lots of things on the truck. Did big truck air filter mod, bb in fpr, rebuilt turbo, cps, icp, new alternator, 3" downpipe, and a wicked wheel 2 waiting to go in. Driving down the road it died and would not restart. Changed cps no start, unplugged icp no start, plenty of fuel in bowl, changed hpop no start, changed ipr no start. Fuse 22good. Fresh oil change, fuel filter has maybe 1000 miles on it. Forgot new mechanical fuel pump 3 weeks ago. Gonna borrow my brothers idm to test. Down to idm or what??? Any recommendations.

I had fuel in the bowl on mine but the fuel pump was bad. No guru here, just what happened to me.

lowbudgetjunk said:
I had fuel in the bowl on mine but the fuel pump was bad. No guru here, just what happened to me.

Forgot about the new fuel pump 3 weeks ago. Updated.

You can check fuel pressure at the filter base, go over the engine harness connectors and see if on came loose since the engine was just installed. Other than that you need a scan tool to continue diagnosis.
I also have a 97 and 02 7.3 trucks and was having fuel delivery problems on both at one point. Removed the beds and opened the tank to find the plastic pickup tubes broken off and in the bottom of the tank on both trucks. Problems showed up at 1/4 tank fuel level.

zukimaster said:
They circled the problem, it's on a blue oval in the front grill! :stir:

I agree. Im a chevy guy with a powerstroke, and hope to have it fixed and sold or traded soon.

Idm seems ok, worked fine on my brothers truck.

Got truck running but not right. I put a few light shots of ether in while my helper cranked. Fired off and ran rough. Killed it and tried again ran better but still having to crank with ether just a puff and it fires off. Has check engine light on so hope to get it scanned tomorrow. Thanks for all the help and keep it coming.

RustyC said:
You can check fuel pressure at the filter base, go over the engine harness connectors and see if on came loose since the engine was just installed. Other than that you need a scan tool to continue diagnosis.
I also have a 97 and 02 7.3 trucks and was having fuel delivery problems on both at one point. Removed the beds and opened the tank to find the plastic pickup tubes broken off and in the bottom of the tank on both trucks. Problems showed up at 1/4 tank fuel level.

x2 on the 1/4 tank option too. Hutch and Harpoon mods FTW!

lowbudgetjunk said:
x2 on the 1/4 tank option too. Hutch and Harpoon mods FTW!

My 97 is OBS so it has mechanical pump on engine. It looks like the mod is for electric pump.

athensdriveline said:
if you live close to Athens swing by we have the tools and computer programs to work on all ford Diesels

I appreciate the offer but im maybe 2hrs away. Got a buddy with access to a scanner, so hope to use it. Again thanks.

Does it have a chip on it? I bought one a while back and I didn't realize it had one. It was rattling around and caused it to die several times and was a pita to get back started. Injector orings can also make it really hard to start or run. When I got the truck it would start cold and run but if you turned it off hot it wouldn't re start. That wound up being orings. Need to read Ipr duty cycle and psi while cranking. A check engine light is good in all my times with them I never got one. Maybe that'll point you in the right direction.

I had the bottom fuel oring break one day on the way to work. Barely made it home. Had to shut it off and coast it was smoking so bad you couldn't see the 4 lane road behind me.
D274DAEA-64CE-4B99-95C1-78000F2E1F8B_zpsmycsdaz8.jpg

I appreciate the offer but im maybe 2hrs away. Got a buddy with access to a scanner, so hope to use it. Again thanks.

scanners are ok for some sensors.

see if you can find some one who has the same type programs that ford uses

94xjsport94 said:
Does the tach move while cranking? Never know if a new CPS is always "good".

Yes tach moves when cranking. Oil gauge works when cranking too. Got it started with a puff of ether but its still running bad and thats the only way to start it.

GPR work? Good GP's? Mine has some bad GP's and doesn't like to start right now if it's cold outside. If trying to cold start it it will take a good long time to start if not plugged in.

Where is this mattman347? I have some questions for him too

mikeparker said:
Yes tach moves when cranking. Oil gauge works when cranking too. Got it started with a puff of ether but its still running bad and thats the only way to start it.

My 99 did this. Brand new fuel pump was bad. It wasn't putting out enough pressure.