• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

97 ZJ blinkers

KarlVP

Love that TOYOTA
Blinkers went out in the wifes jeep.

I got a new blinker module and now when you hit the bliker switch, the lights just stay on.

Is the circuit fubar or is the new module I got bad?

Why did you get a new module?

It's not uncommon for the multi-function switch (blinker/turn switch on the column) to fail and create weird symptoms. On TJs, it's an inexpensive part, and easy to replace. Did one yesterday.

Okay.

The previous relay would leave the blinkers on all the time. They would illuminate when you used the turn signal lever, but not blink. The relay stayed on all the time.

I got a new relay, and now it flashes all the time. The blinkers only blink when you use the turn signal switch, but the relay "clicks" like it's blinking all the time.

The new relay is an EP-27L. I tried the dealership and chrysler had discontinued the factory relay, so they reccomended this one.

It works, but it will drive the wife crazy with the constant clicking noise I'm sure.

For some reason I still think you got a bum relay. Or the incorrect one...
I can take a peek and see what my '98's have for a relay...yes, I said 's...

I would check the sockets on your bulbs. I know it sounds "out there", but I had a comanche that did the same thing.... whenever you turned the blinker switch on, the lights on the dash would light up solid, or not come on at all, depending on what type of flasher relay was installed.

After changing the column switch, blinker relay/flasher and generally banging my head over it, it turned out that one of the front sockets for the turn signals was bad... it must have been melted internally so that one of the positive leads was back-feeding the rest of the circuit. I don't recall the exact behavior, but I know I scratched my head for a while figuring it out.

If you haven't looked yet, pull the lenses off and inspect all 4 bulbs/sockets. I'm sure if you thought about it for a bit and looked at a wiring diagram, you could test them, but I went ahead and just replaced the front two with 5 dollar ones from the "help!" section at the parts store that matched the old ones.

Had a YJ once that had similar problem. I found the 4 way flasher switch to partly engaged. I pulled it on then off. Problem disappeared.