• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

AC recovery?

jangel

Is there anyway to recover the coolant from the AC system at home? I need to remove the condenser to install my oil cooler on my truck. Or do I just crack open the fittings and let it drain itself and clean up the mess?

do you really really need to remove the condenser? it can be expensive to have the system recharged... you could go to a shop and have them evacuate the system and then have them recharge the system when you're done.

the bracket for the oil cooler bolts to the back of the condensor so removing it looks like the only way to mount it.:mad::rolleyes:

do you really really need to remove the condenser? it can be expensive to have the system recharged... you could go to a shop and have them evacuate the system and then have them recharge the system when you're done.
I'd try moving the condenser with out tapping into the refrigeration system.
Once you open a automotive refrigeration system, there's a whole process that needs to be done to keep the system clean, and removal of all moisture. This can be hard, with the oil that R134a uses. It absorbs moisture fast.
SO, opening the system should be a last resort, IF you want to continue having AC. NO PROBLEM, IF YOU PLAN ON ABANDONING AC, & CONVERTING TO ONBOARD AIR.