• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Adding antilock breaks

w0g0w4r

I finally get a hold of my 88 mj today (maybe tomorrow). I've seen kits to add anti lock breaks but my father in-law says it can't be done because its to old. Any thoughts and or segestion.

It could be done but its not going to be cheap or easy. You're going to have to install toner rings and wheel speed sensors for each wheel, then find an abs control module. Abs pump, wire harnesses. Ect. Your probably looking at 3000 bucks or more. Probably more.

Sent by that electronic thing we call a phone...

is there not another rig that this stuff could be pulled from?

would abs brakes help with a wheeler(or is this gonna be a driver?)?

i know nothing but was curious.

Seems like if you really wanted to do this, it would be best to find a parts donor XJ with ABS... They did have factory ABS in late 80's XJ's and most everything should swap over. You would be in for some work swapping parts and electronics.

Any particular reason why you want to add it? The ABS systems of the era were pretty lackluster and most people usually want to go the other way due to problems with the system not working as designed and being a hassle to work on.

Moved to general tech instead of the Garage....

It's been said before, the least expensive option would be to find a donor XJ to obtain all the main guts needed--BUT logistically speaking, getting it to work properly could well be a nightmare...If you haven't seen the wiring nightmare they (late 80's Renix Jeeps) are to begin with, then add ABS into the mix---ugh. Not to mention the early systems didn't work fer crap....but that's also been said!:redneck:

This guy will be my dd for a while then purly my camper/4x4. I want antilock breaks because of an incident I had and other drivers and predations around here have a death wish and I don't. Also it seems there more forgiving of putting off maintenance for a month or so.

This guy will be my dd for a while then purly my camper/4x4. I want antilock breaks because of an incident I had and other drivers and predations around here have a death wish and I don't. Also it seems there more forgiving of putting off maintenance for a month or so.

I don't think you realize how much it's going to take to make your non abs rig, abs. You might as well find a donor rig and get that one running. I mean seriously it's not going to be as easy as you think.

Also it seems there more forgiving of putting off maintenance for a month or so.

Don't be that guy....:rolleyes:

It is really alot of work, in the end buying a new rig is probably the cheapest and most viable option. Nonetheless if you decide to go for it, throw it up in the garage section and I'm sure s few of us will help you through it.....maybe.:fawkdancesmiley: