• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Air bumps

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So I have never had the honor of playing with air bumps. Worked on a number of rigs with them and contemplating getting a pair for the front.

So whats the good bad on them?

The good; they do a nice job of dampening.

The bad; mine have a very hard, rubber type pad on them. Since mine are four inch compression, the rears sit about one inch from the pad at ride height. So every time I compress my springs ONE inch, the pad engages the stop and begins to compress the final four inches. You hear that 'bump' as the stops begin engaging. So, get used to a bump bump bump noise as you're wheeling.

More bad; they're more difficult to package, than a traditional rubber stop.

Get 2" travel. With 4" you will likely be on them alot like Tony said. Kings have different mounting cans then most other brands. Some have hard plastic contact pads, some have aluminum which makes a little more noise. There are 4 Kings on clist right now, I need 2 so if anyone else needs 2 I would go in halves on the deal.

*(360) 708-913three http://skagit.craigslist.org/wto/5387826848.html
2.5" x 2.5"

Last edited:
So they have different lengths--got ya... I have seen both metal and rubber pads and wasn't sure if one was better than the other.

My old ass rad flo 2" bumps have a hard plastic, round tip and they still make a pretty good "knock" noise all day. Sometimes I run the car up in the travel with 6" rear/5" front of shaft showing, the bumps seldom touch....but the normal ride height of 4" rear/3"front of shaft showing and I'm on the bumps nonstop....knock knock knock knock all day.......you get used to it...but...

I have the Light Racing 1-1/2 inch travel bumps in the front of my wheeler. They are nice and compact and it was easy to make mounts. I think they also have some that are 3 or so inch travel. They are fully adjustable on compression and rebound. I have never adjusted mine tho. We just put them on and I've never had a problem with them.

So its hard to get details on who has what kind of contact material on there bumps. The kings look like they have hard plastic. And ya I have noticed the kings show a different mounting can.

I have the Light Racing 1-1/2 inch travel bumps in the front of my wheeler. They are nice and compact and it was easy to make mounts. I think they also have some that are 3 or so inch travel. They are fully adjustable on compression and rebound. I have never adjusted mine tho. We just put them on and I've never had a problem with them.

They look really small..

I have Bilsteins I think in the front...they have a metal/aluminum contact surface and are noisy as hell, but I guess you get used to it. They've been up there for at least 4-5 years now and still work great.

I was looking at boxboys and I believe they were also bilsteins....

So far all the ones I have seen are a very hard plastic or aluminum. Shocked I have not seen any polly tipped ones.

Yeah I have bilsteins and they are hard plastic... put a rubber stop on the axle side if you don't like the banging but with my coil overs I very seldom hear it...

The Light Racing ones are compact. The snubber is some type of plastic or uhmw. It just threads in to the bump stop. My rig has very little up travel so the majority of the time im running on my bumps.

My old ass rad flo 2" bumps have a hard plastic, round tip and they still make a pretty good "knock" noise all day. Sometimes I run the car up in the travel with 6" rear/5" front of shaft showing, the bumps seldom touch....but the normal ride height of 4" rear/3"front of shaft showing and I'm on the bumps nonstop....knock knock knock knock all day.......you get used to it...but...

when i built my setup i only gave 4" uptravel. i really would like six to keep the little bumps from hitting... i have radflow with plastic pads. but on the plus side i have no issues launching it into the air as it lands easy.:awesomework:

The poly ends or if you put some sort of plastic/rubber/poly impact surface material on the axle to quite down, the metal/aluminum end tears it up in a hurry, at least that's been my experience.

So i am leaning to 2.5 fox's like whats on natts rig that i am doing next in the shop

Attachments

• tmp_18472-20160131_184454-756813601.jpg
    tmp_18472-20160131_184454-756813601.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 135
Both my rigs have started with 4" bumps and ended up de-stroked to get 2" of bump. The 'tapping' of the bumps you get used to real quick, I prefer the nylon/type bumper over all aluminum. I've run King's, Fox, and FOA's. The King's are obviously super nice but also the most money. I've got no complaints with my FOA's for the money so far.

J

Get 2" travel. With 4" you will likely be on them alot like Tony said. Kings have different mounting cans then most other brands. Some have hard plastic contact pads, some have aluminum which makes a little more noise. There are 4 Kings on clist right now, I need 2 so if anyone else needs 2 I would go in halves on the deal.

*(360) 708-913three http://skagit.craigslist.org/wto/5387826848.html
2.5" x 2.5"

Those might be Steve's... (Cobb on here)...
EDIT: They are! :haha: Just checked my contacts in my phone :redneck:...good guy to deal with for sure. He's the guy with the rear steer buggy in all the recent Reiter Vids popping up...