• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Air Ride!!!!

Boonie Buster

Stuck on a Curb
any of you guys have air ride on your vehicles??? for towing? just looking for some info on people that have air bags and what they thought of them. easy to install???

I don't have air rides, I have ride rites.. But they are simple to install.. 4 holes into the frame on each side and slap em on.. It's nice to be able to haul more then 2 yards of crushed rock and ride level.

I have air bags.... don't need em. with the 3000lb. camper and the enclosed w/ truggy all I have to do is put on my weight distribution bars on the hitch and the damn thing is right on level. Any air and the back end sits high and actually hauls worse! More body roll with the bags since it doesn't use the factory overload springs with the bags pumped up. Of course I got a 1 ton dually so my suspension is pretty stiff anyway.

I'll be putting a set on my Wife's Durango to help out when towing the Jeep on the car trailer. Got a set off a parts truck a while ago, so it'll be a free mod.

it can certainly depend on who's kit you're using, and how the suspension is set up.. firestone rides on top of the overloads. And a trailer with a weight distribution hitch, is not the only thing my truck hauls.

it can certainly depend on who's kit you're using, and how the suspension is set up.. firestone rides on top of the overloads. And a trailer with a weight distribution hitch, is not the only thing my truck hauls.

No, but so far the best use I have found for the bags is to lift the ass end up, drop the tongue jack and then drop the truck out from under the hitch! Alll the other loads I've hauled haven't needed the bags!

I just scored a free set of Firestone airbags with compressor. Now all I gotta do is get off my butt and install them. Then again, with my 11' camper on the back, trailer etc, it doesn't even hit the overloads. I had 2 cord of green wood on it not long ago and it was just starting to touch the overloads. :redneck:

After I leveled off the front of my truck with the 2.5" coils, the ass end would sag with a garbage bag tossed in.. So I had to get the bags so my truck would ride level whether it was loaded or empty. I can't stand the ass end being so much higher. And every stock truck is like that.

i have a 05 dodge 3500 and the rear is way to soft even with the dist. bars tight(trailer is 12000 loaded). I put the bags on and i am much happier now. I went all the way to idaho with the overloads burried first trip out and threw on the bags over there and came back much better, i was bottoming out in the rough stuff without em. One nice thing about the third gens(compared to my powerstroke) is that the firestone kit is no drilling to install.

I ran firestone's on my '98 chevy 3/4 it made the truck ride like a Cadillac, and yes to previous posts you don't want so much air as to not touch the overloads if it doesn't touch the truck sways bad if there is no rear sway bar.

firestones in the back of my truck, i keep about 5psi in'm
never realy need to air'm up.. even w/ 2 palets o block in the bed i still hadent sat down the 1.5" it takes to hit the overloads.. rode nice tho.. lol..

i had a set of firestone bags on my 99 dakota with the v8. once i hooked up the trailer and put the toy on it it would sit real low in the ass end. put 45 pounds of air in them and rode just like it did without the trailer. i have a set on the way to go in my coils on the back of my 05 trailblazer