• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Alumimum links

Binder said:
The weight is either below the COG or above it. Loosing weight below the COG will raise the COG.

tRUE but its still rotational/moving wieght correct? so can you tell me how that affects cog?

Holy fawk you guy's are bickering about 200 or 250 pound's out of 3500. How about just waiting and seeing how they hold up?

Last edited by a moderator:
crash said:
tRUE but its still rotational/moving wieght correct? so can you tell me how that affects cog?

Not at all. COG will stay the same regardless of if the suspension is extended or collapsed. The only thing that changes is the relationship of the COG to the ground.....Like Darius said, it's only a few pounds on a heavy rig. A very small percentage of the weight so it really doesn't make much difference. The bigger issue as I see it is questionable strength and durability.
In reality if the aluminum junk doesn't work out just replace them with steel. It's not such a big deal. How many times have you tried something just to see if/ how it works? If you like it you leave it if not change it.

Not at all. COG will stay the same regardless of if the suspension is extended or collapsed.

Eeeeenck (wrong buzzer)

The rotational moment of inertia changes too

cisco said:
Eeeeenck (wrong buzzer)

The rotational moment of inertia changes too

The way I understand it COG does not change If I'm wrong please explain. There are other changes, I didn't say their weren't.

:EDIT: I did write this-"The only thing that changes is the relationship of the COG to the ground"
Meaning the only thing that changes about the COG.

Last edited:
Binder said:
I'm sure.......It just makes for good conversation. In reality were all just wasting out time behind a key board when we should be our wheeling.:redneck:

Perzackly :redneck:

IMO you would never ever see a difference in a rigs performance going for alum. links to chromo's or visa versa.

But I did dissagree with your comment until you said

:EDIT: I did write this-"The only thing that changes is the relationship of the COG to the ground"
and there I agree

If I read more carefully I can see what you were saying. Center of gravity is always relative to the ground and therefore changes when raising or lowering the suspension.

cisco said:
If I read more carefully I can see what you were saying. Center of gravity is always relative to the ground and therefore changes when raising or lowering the suspension.

yep..................

No, what I meant was COG is constant. Raising or lowering suspension moves it (along with the rest of the rig) in relation to the ground.

cisco said:

ya-sure--ok ya :D

crash said:
ha ha ha--now thats funny.....

But to kep on topic I can't wait for them being used for about 6 months and see how they work...

9 months have passed and I have hammered the crap outta my aluminum links... I will never go back to steel..

I weighed the chromo links compared to alum and it is about a 150 to 200 lb difference

gotta love it :cool:

Whatever you chose just remember one thing EVERYTHING BREAKS. Bottom line. Would I run the aluminum, I would say sure after I have seen troy abusing them. Right now I have Chromos, and whether they are heat treated or not they will still bend. Part of wheelin.:corn:

Roccrawler said:
aluminum links cost same as chromoly

Not really, But after heat treat the chromos almost catch up. Im talking about 2 inch solid 7075 vs 2 inch 1/2 wall 4130 thats heat treated. It helps to have a cnc lathe to thread the links:D I suppose if you were a avg joe paying for all the chromo work would cost more than alum links.

Good to hear yers are holding up Troy, all i gotta say about alum links is watch the first 40 seconds of BTG's video.

Bunk said:
Not really, But after heat treat the chromos almost catch up.

Are you doing a "post production" heat treat? Cause 4130 should already be tempered martensite... and if it isn't, why not just step to the 4340, which is tempered martensite, along with a little bit better yied, and UYS, while still keeping pretty much the same stress-strain curve?

Last edited:
82toyomud said:
Are you doing a "post production" heat treat? Cause 4130 should already be tempered martensite... and if it isn't, why not just step to the 4340, which is tempered martensite, along with a little bit better yied, and UYS, while still keeping pretty much the same stress-strain curve?

4340 was months out compared to the 3 weeks for the 4130. I was going thru EMJ and the material had to be shipped outta Boston..FWIW it was $270 for a full stick of it(2 inch 1/2 wall).

Latest posts