• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

am i crazy?

braves10and22

RAAAAWWWRRRR!!
i graduate in dec. with my poli-sci degree. i have a double concentration in international relations and comparative politics. i would really like to break into international law, but there is no way that's going to happen if i go to birmingham school of law. i've been very heavily considering joining the military to go to jag school. planning on sitting down with a navy recruiter some time this week.

brad says do it. friends say do it. favorite teacher says do it. my mother, of course, is screaming from the rafters that i can't. lol what says hardline?

Do what you think is best for you and your family. Go talk to the recruiter, but keep in mind they are going to sell you on doing it. If possible talk to someone that has been through the program.

I went to the recruiter's office today. I knew that I would have to talk to the officer recruiter, but I figured the regular office would be able to tell me something. I walked in, and they acted like they had no idea what i was talking about. i said "graduate" and "jag program" and the guy was like let me get my boss out here. boss comes out and gives me a phone number in atl. i drove all the way to irondale for a navy pen and a phone number. call the atl guy, says he's the wrong guy and (after i ASKED for it) gives me a number in montgomery. call the guy in montgomery, i have to ASK him for the application, after i went halfway around the world trying to find somebody to talk to.

when did it get like this? not once did anybody tell me how great the Navy is. i'm basically selling myself to THEM. Is it just because it's officer commission? i ASSumed college grads would be a hot commodity...

you just did not talk to the right person or they would have grabed you up

Yeh you need to be very wise in the meetings to come. There is always more to be offered than they will let you know at the beginning. I will call my dad and get some input from him. He is a 32 year Naval Officer. Decorated Head to Toe for everything under the sun. He still works with cadets and ROTC programs. He will have some advice. Check back later.

Not to bag on the Navy, but I did 10 years as an officer in the Air Force and as far as quality of life, you cannot beat the Air Force. Of course, I got stuck with the Army most of my carreer, but I was in that special world.

Back to the point, I was a Political Science major too....totally worthless laughing1, but I was in ROTC and all I needed was a degree and I had a good job. So I went with something I liked and was good at.

You need to look into getting into OCS....Officer Canidate School. DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO ENLISTING. Officer Country is where you want to be with a degree. That said, in Intelligence, 80% of my NCO's (sargeants) has bachelors degrees in the Air Force. But, like you said, there is a need right now, you just have not found the right spot. Alabama Air Guard would be a good place to look for a full time job if active duty is not happening.

I would be glad to talk to you about my Air Force time and how I got a SERIOUS jumpstart on life by spending time in the military.

I left after 10 years making 45K a year and had trippled that in 2 years out of the military because of the training I got being an officer. I HIGHLY recommend the move. It was great for me.

20 countries, 2 wars, countless adventures....it was the best time of my life for sure. If I did not have small kids, I would be in now.

OK tracked my dad down shooting rocks with Cadets out at White Sands. Hate to say he does not have good news. He was the commanding officer at U or Texas for several years and a one star would come in once a year from the Naval JAG program and hand pick the Law School graduates he wanted. They only take the best of the best and as far as my dad knows they take them from the top Law Schools in the country. They are not paying to send anyone to Law school right now. You would have to get into law school get straight A's and some other facy merit awards then contact them. Another option is to look at some of the other services like wngrog said.

Being a navy brat for most of my life and now being a defense contractor. I have seen them all. I have been to more military bases around the world than most military personnel. I have been to Navy, Air Force, and Army installations and by far the Air Force does the best at taking care of their people. Its also the softest panzy aXX group out there but if you are looking to live the good life thats the way to go.

thanks guys. this is the kind of advice i was looking for with my first post. there is no way that i would join without going in as an officer. i know i want to get into international law, so that's what i'm going after. they said i would have to start out in intel...now brad thinks i'm gonna be a spy. lmao

nolen - i would really like to hear what you have to say. the more i think about it, the more i feel like it's something i need to do.

jeep - well that stinks for me. i just don't see how there are that many lawyers trying to get in.

braves10and22 said:
thanks guys. this is the kind of advice i was looking for with my first post. there is no way that i would join without going in as an officer. i know i want to get into international law, so that's what i'm going after. they said i would have to start out in intel...now brad thinks i'm gonna be a spy. lmao

nolen - i would really like to hear what you have to say. the more i think about it, the more i feel like it's something i need to do.

jeep - well that stinks for me. i just don't see how there are that many lawyers trying to get in.

Get into OCS and do at least 4 years as a regular officer. Have fun, take what they give you. It is a blast and a hell of a resume builder. If you have a knack for languages (int law) you can get the best language tng in the world in the military. Pick up an language for free and then apply for law school. Just having 4 yrs of being an officer is a great boost to your LSAT.

I was a forward air controller assigned to the army when I first got in. It was a balst and I was damn glad to be done witht he Army after that tour. I also did two 3-month stints on Navy ships...one on an amphibious assault ship and one on a carrier. I dont see how in the hell they get anyone to join that service. Being on a **** sucked worse than being with the 2nd Armor Division in Turkey in the summer. Screw that.

Go see the Air Force. The OCS school is in Montgomery. Take a road trip.

okay, i have all my transcripts sent in, 2 of my 3 letters of recommendation have been sent, i have to fill out the forms for security clearance, and my application is all done, BUT

i'm having a hard time writing my motivational statement. i'm about 5 sentences into it, and i just have writer's block. you would think, as a woman, i'd have no problem talking about myself. somebody give me some ideas on how to talk myself up.