• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

American Sniper review

bigsilly said:
I was thinking of taking my 9 year old son today, but now I have my doubts that I should take him. I try not to shield him from these things, I think he should know what our soilders and American heroes go through.

As a side note I took him to see Lone Survivor, how would you all say this compares in language and graphic nature?

I would say more graphic as it shows a lot of head shots. Not near as bad of language I didn't think. I think Lone Survivor tied Scarface with f bombs. Or it may of been I was just that much more into American Sniper...

matth_85 said:
I would say more graphic as it shows a lot of head shots. Not near as bad of language I didn't think. I think Lone Survivor tied Scarface with f bombs. Or it may of been I was just that much more into American Sniper...

You're correct. Lone survivor had more f bombs. But not by much.

I would not take a child. I suggest going alone (with other adults) to the theater. If, at he end, you feel it is something you want him to see, then go to the computer link above and watch it with him later. You will be able to pause and explain if needed. Then, you can make an educated decision for yourself.

Rick and bubba said this movie has over 120 "****" words in it. I can't wait to see it. And my kids are babies so they won't be seeing it lol

Re:

They do at one point show a child being tortured with a drill and the language is pretty strong. Not really kid "friendly"

I'm not much of a book reader but after watching it last night I will definitely be reading the book. I can't imagine any better representation of what guys really go through that serve our country. It is a must see for sure. It would prolly be good for everyone 16 and up to watch.

Watched it again tonight deffinately all of cursin that I didn't notice the first time! Actually several things I missed the first time! Deffinately a bad ass movie!

rglover said:
I'm not much of a book reader but after watching it last night I will definitely be reading the book. I can't imagine any better representation of what guys really go through that serve our country. It is a must see for sure. It would prolly be good for everyone 16 and up to watch.

X2

Went seen it tonight. I will see it again and try to read book.
My only worry was that AS and Selma was going to get out at the same time.

Wow, what a well done movie. At the end everyone walked out in silence. The only other movie I can remember seeing that happened at was The Passion of the Christ.

I decided to go ahead and take my son. Honestly I do not think it was a bad decision. Other than all of the foul language that he has heard before, the graphic scenes were not all that bad. He was very moved by it, and he said some of it was hard to watch. It gave him a huge appreciation for what these guys go through to protect us.

Re: Re: Re: American Sniper review

bigsilly said:
Wow, what a well done movie. At the end everyone walked out in silence. The only other movie I can remember seeing that happened at was The Passion of the Christ.

I decided to go ahead and take my son. Honestly I do not think it was a bad decision. Other than all of the foul language that he has heard before, the graphic scenes were not all that bad. He was very moved by it, and he said some of it was hard to watch. It gave him a huge appreciation for what these guys go through to protect us.
I've always thought that kids in school should watch Saving Private Ryan unedited for the same reason. I don't have kids so it's hard for me to say but I would rather them see historically accurate violence like that then something that is just made up.

Re: Re: Re: American Sniper review

onepieceatatime said:
I've always thought that kids in school should watch Saving Private Ryan unedited for the same reason. I don't have kids so it's hard for me to say but I would rather them see historically accurate violence like that then something that is just made up.
Exactly, you hit the nail on the head. I would rather expose him to this than some of the brainless junk that is being produced every day. I have no regrets for taking him.

Re:

I would also imagine different kids handle it different ways. My Grandpa always watched violent war movies with me as a kid. Mom didn't like it but I don't think it ever affected negatively and if I feel my kids are like me someday than I would be comfortable showing them historically accurate war movies.

The Govment payed me not to come to work yesterday. I wanted to spend my MLK money in the most anti-MLK way that is legal so the wife and I went to see the movie. Got to say it was the best money ever spent at a theater. RTR

Absolutely must see movie. Saw it at the fancy theater with VIP seating and cold beer. I honestly don't think it was that graphic and the language wasn't any worse than any other movie put out these days. The difference is this movie delivered something real, something everyone should see whether they think they should or not. Its a story about a real hero, not a made up one..there's nothing sad about that, other than he is no longer with us. I think its suitable for younger tweens. I would tell them this is a story about just one hero out of many and that every war had many, and not to wait for a special "calender day" to remember this!

BEATIN35S said:
It has some very strong language I wouldn't take my 11 year old. It is very graphic as well I'd say it would be very hard for him to process that and take it all in But this movie has done a great job showing the mindset of a special forces soldier and any other soldier that is a hard charger.

Didn't take him and as far as the language and graphic nature I'm glad I didn't take him. I went the other day and got the book. So far it's really good.

I picked up my son from school and showed him the book. We got home and I sat it down on the end table. I went outside to do something and come back in and he was reading it. I asked what he was doing and he said, "reading the book." I asked him why and he told me when I got done with it that he wanted to read it and know what happened! A very proud father moment for me!

al1tonyota said:
, also the lack of respect that military active and vets receive!

this has always bothered me quite a bit. we always have customers walking in proudly wearing their jackets/hats/pins/etc showing who they are and what branch they were with. I always try to shake a hand and say thank you.
our country doesn't appreciate what these people do or did for us and it makes me sick.

I've never served, but I greatly appreciate anyone who has or is currently, so THANK YOU! I wish our gov would step up and do more for you folks