• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Another expensive day...Injectors...

Six-Nine

Thought I'd share this lol

So I have had my truck back for a couple of days...truck is running great, tranny(a whole other issue lol) seems to be holding...then it starts running rough.

Besides running like crap, I notice that I am making oil(diesel in oil, symptom of stuck injectors) I check my Airdog water separator and its full of water...

Notice the rust... :( Basically wiped out the entire injector/injector tubes/nozzles...)

Cut open 3 micron Airdog fuel filter
Airdogfilterrust1.jpg

Cut open Airdog filter
Airdogfilterrust2.jpg

Airdog 3 micron vs stock 7 micron
Airdogvsstockfilter.jpg

Injector tubes(after being in a sonic cleaner)...
injectortubes.jpg

The injectors look the same, nozzles are wiped out(DDP80HP tips, that I just had installed)

Looks like I had been getting some bad fuel. I haven't had the truck back long enough to even think of changing the oil(changed when twins went on) or fuel filter and drain the separator.

The Airdog had a new filter when it was installed and has maybe 8k on it. When the Airdog was installed the stock canister filter was bypassed. The stock filter had been changed twice before the Airdog install.

I think most of the water happened before the Airdog, but I could be wrong. I am am going to be changing filters way more often and also going to run the stock filter as well. Going to have to drain the tank and see what the fuel looks like too...

So anyway, the injectors list for $1100 a piece(x6) lol, plus new injector tubes, new nozzles / fluids and labor...

Bad fuel? Um where do you get your fuel? I would think avoiding that place would be a good thing...

I kinda wonder if with all the work done, something mixed up the fuel and what was in there from the past got mixed in with some new and that's what got in there? Could someone have put some biodiesel in there maybe?

Just a couple thoughts... If I'm off the mark, someone tell me...

I use to use a station down in Sumner for my diesel.. Thought the truck was just having issues until I heard about other friends who had the same kind of problems.. Worst being the Ford guys because those things are real finiky. Even after going back a few months later I would have the problem again.. Kept getting water in the fuel. Haven't been there in years now.. Thankfully Lenny was able to take my injectors in and clean them up for me and get the truck running right again.. Sounds like you had a lot more water in your fuel then I did though.. Damn common rail injectors aren't cheap! At least it aint a Ford though, you'd be double that.. :redneck:

you should figure out where you got your fuel at. i work at a dodge dealer
and we had about 5 trucks in the last 2 months with water in the fuel,
they were able to get reimbersed from the gas station only one of them
had rust on the transfer tubes. in the manual it says to replace complete
fuel system. hope this helps

you should figure out where you got your fuel at. i work at a dodge dealer
and we had about 5 trucks in the last 2 months with water in the fuel,
they were able to get reimbersed from the gas station only one of them
had rust on the transfer tubes. in the manual it says to replace complete
fuel system. hope this helps
I keep all of the reciepts in quick books for tax purposes...95% of my fuel comes from Safeway in port orchard...the other 5% comes from various stations in the greater Seattle area...