• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Another P pump issue...

sleepsontoilet

I recently sent my P pump in to PSC for a rebuild after last trip out. I bent the tie rod into the ram and think it caused back pressure blowing out the seals. Upon being rebuilt I was told the seals and something else were replaced. I used a pulley press as per directions, reconnected everything the same way it's been for multiple years (5+), and topped the pump off with Prestone power steering fluid. Cycled it back and forth on a jack stand until all bubbles were gone. Started it and all seemed well. I made a trip around the block, with no squealing other than at full lock. It usually makes a squeal, but since the rebuild it's way louder than ever before, but only when forcing full lock. The second trip around the block, it started doing this. I can go fast as I want to the passenger side with no squeal. But as you can see it squeals like hell to the driver side unless you barely turn it. What gives?

I did not build the steering setup on this rig. It was built multiple years ago as a Zuk and hasn't had issues to my knowledge. The orbital has straight 90s which I know aren't desirable. It is a -10 supply no more than 6" behind but directly on top of the pump. Then everything else is a -6. If i was to completely redo everything, I would probably try a -12 supply and -8 return with full flow 90s only where needed to allow less restriction. I'm trying to keep what I have as so far it has served the Zuk well.

Did I do something wrong when I installed it, or does it sound like a faulty rebuild? Got a run in a week, and have a hard time towing 8 hrs knowing it make break right off the trailer.

The issue seems to be pressure related. The pump had to build more pressure to steer to the drivers side vrs pass due to the surface area of the piston in the ram. I would give the guys at PSC a link to the video. It would not play for me but I did get audio.

RustyC said:
The issue seems to be pressure related. The pump had to build more pressure to steer to the drivers side vrs pass due to the surface area of the piston in the ram. I would give the guys at PSC a link to the video. It would not play for me but I did get audio.

Thank you

I'm not sure, I just clicked it and the video worked on my phone. I agree it's somehow pressure related, but there's nothing different in the setup beyond a fresh rebuild on the pump. Having never done it before, and never been so loud when at full lock makes me wonder if the rebuild wasn't correct. It squealed at lock like you'd expect before, but now it's more of a scream.

Not gonna HGTD, but it's fixed and I learned something. I guess the pump is putting out more pressure after the rebuild and making things more obvious. It was suggested to try and tighten the belt more. I "thought" it was tight, but was wrong. I used a pry bar and got about .25" more lateral movement on the pump. Now everything seems to be working fine. The bracket isn't the best, and is homemade of sorts and allows more movement than preferred. I would like to swap to a different one, but that means swapping to a TC pump, and really needed to just get it together for the run. Thanks for not laughing too hard at my Tuesday question.