• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Any riding around Houston?

EsPowell

My wife landed an awesome job in Houston so we will be moving in June. Any locals on here?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You need to be a C hair more specific? If you're into quads/UTVS there are several places to go.

You have Outlaw and Down South Offroad on both sides of Highway 90 in Crosby (NE Houston). There are several big mud trucks that go to DSO, and they have a few culverts in a pile that they call a rock course.

There's a place called Creekside on 59N just past New Caney/Splendora that has mud as well, but not sure on the size.

A little North in Huntsville there's General Sams mud park.

There was a rock quarry in Huntsville named Texas Offroad Ranch, but it's been closed due to weather and isn't showing signs of reopening.

Heading North West towards College Station there's Brazos Valley Offroad, they're only open for TX4WD events I think. Their dates are posted online.

Due north about 4 hrs on 59 there's Barnwell Mountain Recreation Area in Gilmer, TX. It's part of Texas motorized trails coalition, and is a decent sized park with cabins to rent. It's more clay type terrain, but can get muddy in the rain. Several good ledges to climb, and a few days worth of trails.

To the west about 3.5 hrs there's Hidden Falls Adventure Park. It's in the hill country with nice views, but isn't the most hardcore wheeling you'll ever do. They rent 4 wheelers, dirt bikes, etc and even have a skeet shoot. They hold one of the dirt riot races here every year.

About 3 hours west of us is a place called Stillwater Ranch. It's privately owned and has select open dates. From the youtube video it looks nice and I'm going to try and hit it this year.

About 4.5 hrs from Houston is K2 the new Katemcy Rocks. it's located in Mason, TX and hosts werock annually. It's the closest thing to Moab around here. Privately owned and not open but select dates.

About 6.5-7 hrs west of us is Trees Ranch. It is full of loose rock and hill climbs. Pretty country, but nothing nearby so bring anything you may need.

Hot Springs, Clayton, Daisy, Disney, and Burris Valley Ranch are all a good 6-8 hours north of us. Most of these places have a website, and you can find pics, dates, prices, etc.

Sorry for being vague. I've been in central Alabama my whole life so trail riding and hills is my thing. Last 2 toys have been RZRs, but I just sold my 1000 to help get everything ready to move. We will most likely be in an apartment for the first year or so till we get familiar with the area. I guess the real question is there any local trail riding areas? I'm in the market for a new vehicle and I'm considering a new JK, but don't want one if there's nowhere to ride

Locally IMO no, but I despise mud. My personal favorite is K2 as its all rocks. It looks like a rock crawlers skate park. They're opening up a place called Wolf Caves directly behind it. Most good wheeling is approximately a 4 hour drive. But some locals have a ranger, razor, wildact, or 4 wheeler and enjoy the local mud parks in between runs.

Hidden Falls 3.5 hrs

Burris Valley Ranch 7hrs

Gilmer 4 hrs

K2 4.5hrs

Trees Ranch 6hrs

I can't find any pics of the other places, but hopefully it helps you see what's around here.

Man all those places look awesome. I also hate mud! If there are no local spots to just get out in the woods then buying a JK looks useless for now.

Clayton and Hot Springs are nice, but not really close. Most of us just suck it up and make the haul. The only good local wheeling was Spring Creek Offroad, but it got closed to make a Greenway that never happed. They made a nice werock style course in the front, sure miss it being 15 minutes away.

Which side/area of Houston are yall looking at?

She will be working in Sugar Land so somewhere around there. We are taking a road trip out there next weekend to scout out some areas of interest

EsPowell said:
She will be working in Sugar Land so somewhere around there. We are taking a road trip out there next weekend to scout out some areas of interest

That's down where InDaShop lives.

I've been looking at wolf caves on the book of faces. Looks like some cool terrain there. I'm in far north TX, due north of Dallas so we go to Clayton and Hat Springs.
I've been wanted to head to Austinish area and that wolf caves place is on my list.

no ****ing wheeling anywhere near this bitch!

I lived in Sugar Land for 8 years 2005-2013, and moved to Missouri City then. Been in Houston since 2001.
No wheeling anywhere near this mother....

K2 is spuratic on weekends open, Clayton has done there best to run wheelers out of town. So save your vaca days and haul back east, or far west for trips. its just what we do.

Wolf caves opens it's doors in 2 weeks. I plan on making it down to see how it compares to K2. Can't wait. Wolf caves is supposed to be open every week, so that's a plus.

Everyone above nailed it. If you want real wheeling in houaton, you have to drive to get it.

Haha there are Jeep clubs around here like that. Those people make it REALLY difficult to even consider a JK lol. Gotta love those pictures of Jeeps flexed out on a curb at the mall. Super hardcore!

It would be well worth it to invest in a dual purpose rig. Being street legal makes it nice. It may not be as hardcore, but you can drive it to places and wheel as well as enjoying the back country.

Oh yea, one more thing..........Learn Spanish.... :dblthumb: