• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone driving a 1500 Sierra/Silverado with 6.2/8spd?

MattyB4x4

I'm eyeballing a 2015 GMC with the 6.2/8spd but read of some issues with the 2015 & 2016 model years with the 8 speed transmission. Clunky shifts, torque converter needing replacement, transmissions shitting the bed, etc. Anyone have first hand experience?

Was there ever a fix for this? Updated transmission tune or anything?

Would love a 6.2 as the happy medium for towing a single rig.

Thanks

These problems aren't really transmission problems at all. The problem is having a 6000 lb vehicle running on 4 cylinders at 1500 rpms. This is what happens with a 32 inch tall tire, a .65 or .63 overdrive and shitty ass 3.08 gears. No transmission can handle being lugged all the time. And none of these major manufacturers care that the parts won't last, because they are forced to meet EPA standards and can't even sell the trucks if they don't... So they pass on hey inferior product to us because they honestly have no other options due to the government

muddinmetal said:
These problems aren't really transmission problems at all. The problem is having a 6000 lb vehicle running on 4 cylinders at 1500 rpms. This is what happens with a 32 inch tall tire, a .65 or .63 overdrive and shitty ass 3.08 gears. No transmission can handle being lugged all the time. And none of these major manufacturers care that the parts won't last, because they are forced to meet EPA standards and can't even sell the trucks if they don't... So they pass on hey inferior product to us because they honestly have no other options due to the government

and the consumer is forced to "break the law" and go to the aftermarket to disable the "features" that make the vehicles unreliable.

muddinmetal said:

I was reading of all sorts of **** hitting the fan withing the first few thousand miles?

I'd think a DOD/AFM kit would help with all the lugging and BS, no?

Get the tallest rear gear option available. Get a tune to disable the cylinder shutdown bullshit. Many of those same issues you are talking about are prevalent in the 5.3/6L trucks too. The oem programming just chokes the trucks down. Im at 63k miles on mine and its been tuned since 30k. I used the Diablosport Intune2 just to disable cylinder shutdown and firm up some shift points, it helped the truck dramatically in day to day drive-ability.

The 6.2 is not near as bad to have issues due to the increase in torque.

Bad news guys.... The new trucks have 10 speeds and can shut down to just ONE cylinder... even on the 5.3s

muddinmetal said:
Dodge has a half ton truck with the regular 5.7 Hemi that costs $65,000!

Shut up

yeah but we all know that after all the "dealer rebates" and whatnot, that you can drive it off the lot for ~$30K OTD.

Re: Re: Anyone driving a 1500 Sierra/Silverado with 6.2/8spd?

TBItoy said:
yeah but we all know that after all the "dealer rebates" and whatnot, that you can drive it off the lot for ~$30K OTD.
And have a truck that dont burn transmission quicker than an oil change.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Anyone driving a 1500 Sierra/Silverado with 6.2/8spd?

ranger11 said:
And have a truck that dont burn transmission quicker than an oil change.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

I literally do not know a single person that owns a late model (say 2012+) dodge 1/2 ton.

I don't recall even seeing a 2018 Ram out in public yet? I see em on the dealer lot, but never driving around town.

They might be OK trucks.

Re: Re: Re: Anyone driving a 1500 Sierra/Silverado with 6.2/8spd?

TBItoy said:
I literally do not know a single person that owns a late model (say 2012+) dodge 1/2 ton.

I don't recall even seeing a 2018 Ram out in public yet? I see em on the dealer lot, but never driving around town.

They might be OK trucks.
Me either was making a post based on what I read. I haven't seen a thread about dodges like this one. Hell I don't even know anyone with a single cab truck past 96 and he thinks his step side (chevy) is the be all end all truck. Lol

Edit I miss read as single cabs. I know a few with 1/2 ton dodges. They are reliable from what they say... They show up at work on time. That's all.

I had one. A 2015 GMC crew cab 4x4 just like you're talking about. I want to say it had 3.73 gears. It was a great truck and I had no complaints but it still didn't compare to a diesel.

MoparMan said:
You are so mature for your age. Carry on

Don't you have some softball to watch or something?

You can find hundreds of comments on this very site knocking Dodges, and dozens picking on you specifically for liking Dodges... and you haven't commented to any of them like you did me just now.