• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone hear of this? Sounds made up. But also seems like it may work?

skipnrocks

I think the trans axle buggy I'm building has the 4t60e the half shafts have a pretty decent size at the seal surface but then shrink for the spiders. I can't find a lot of good info since trans axle buggies arnt super common. But I wondered if when I open the diff to weld the spiders it might work to put a larger spline count. Kinda like going 30 to 35 spline in a Dana 60. Then maybe I can use a more standard stub shaft like from a Dana 44?

Spool : Weld it
Shifter : EOR dirt track shifter with cable. You'll have to make a bracket on the trans but that should work fairly well.

SBJeepn said:
Or even find a decent spool for this. Then just need a decent way to hold them in?

there was a 3800sc transaxle buggy built on pirate and the guy had pics of how he welded the diff... I followed his lead...

long story short its easiest to just pull the cap off the output toward the front of the motor and weld it while its assembled. I just did an inch or two of weld then let it cool over and over...

are you going to run a transfer case? I was real apprehensive of the female splined axle on the output at the back of the motor so I run a divorced 205 off the front output, so far i've noticed no fatigue on that shaft but i always run low range if im on an obsticle.

the guys that don't run a transfer case end up having to make a bearing support for the female splined output to keep it aligned better and keep it from popping out as the suspension travels.

and to answer your question on the spline counts, I was never able to locate upgraded spider gears... there are a lot of upgraded CV shafts out there for the front wheel drive drag racers :JRich:

I tried to have Branik make me a chromo output but it got all ****ed up and they never delivered a usable part and stopped answering my calls. if i ever have an issue out of the shaft i fabricated i'll find another axle shaft shop make one from better material but running a tcase is very different than not in these buggies IMO...

Also, the 4t65e that comes behind the 3800SC has bigger outputs than the nonSC counterparts... you keep saying 4t60e so maybe you're using a non stock trans with the SC3800?

I wasnt planning on running a transfercase. I still hope to not have too. I had thought of using a dana 44 stub shaft and leave enough out to have a carrier bearing to prevent damage to the trans axle. I am not sure if I have the 4-t60 or 4t65 after more reading I think I must have the 65 but I did go pull all the labels off my trans so now its time to dicipher. My rig is not supercharged though just a 2001 buick 3800.

Did you send your spider gear into branik when you tried to get yours built? I tried to think of maybe designing using a stock cv then converting that to a driveshaft. The front I am not worried about pulling out since it will have a carrier bearing and a split shaft due to the distance from the motor.

Do you have pics of your rig?

my build thread is down and dirty transaxle build on here...

since photobucket sucks even worse now, they've taken all my photos down... anyone know how to get them back up painlessly? I can share the album with you if you want.

A guy had a north star transaxle buggy in wv.

It had two female yokes that slid in the transaxle, that had u joint yokes on them. Similar to a pinion yoke. A bolt thru the center from one side to the other, front output thru rear, held both outputs in the transaxle.

Dont know if this will help but I was messing with a s10 a few year ago that had the bolt on half shafts. It had the same spline count as my np231 tcase did. I had thought that might be a way to make a mounting surface on a tcase if I ever had one with the female splines. Also the 99-06 gm trucks have a male splined shaft that has goes into the transfer case. Dont know spline count or anything but they may allow you got get a ujoint to make drive shafts from.

I bumped my thread and added a link to the photobucket account... there's pics in there of how i made the output shaft. I turned down the bell of the CV shaft and welded a yoke to it.. so far so good

Thank you. I'll check it out. I thought of doing that but figured by the time I paid a machineist and got the yoke I may have as much into it as having a shaft made from scratch out of chromoly

Google "lo budget pimpin" on pirate4x4. Rock Ape is his username. Basically, you're onto one way to do it. Weld the differential inside just like you normally would in an axle. You could also have a shaft made to go all the way through the transaxle and attach your yokes to that.

Good luck!