• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone messed with a daihatsu?

Dennis sold that thing... I think he's outta the 4wheeling for awhile.

Dennis - thats who I sold mine too... from Bothell...

heard he was on the way to sell it, when he got hit by another car... :booo:

so he ended up building it... don't know what happened after that, ain't heard from him in a long while!

Toyota has/had a couple divisions, if I remember correctly from my time over there.

Basically:

Toyota= mid-range market. While the other manufacturers all have their tiny cars, Toyota won't put their name on one...so we have...

Daihatsu = bottom end, econoboxes. Most over there have 660cc motors.

Crown = think Lexus

Hino = large trucks. The T100's have some connection with Hino. It was either factory or design, one of the two.

Toyota parts should feel right at home on a Daihatsu, for sure. They probably quit selling them here because nobody could say the name right unless they sneezed.

Last edited:
most of the connectors, parts, part number etc were the same as toyota's..... so that wouldn't surprise me a bit.

Toyota has/had a couple divisions, if I remember correctly from my time over there.

Basically:

Toyota= mid-range market. While the other manufacturers all have their tiny cars, Toyota won't put their name on one...so we have...

Daihatsu = bottom end, econoboxes. Most over there have 660cc motors.

Crown = think Lexus

Hino = large trucks. The T100's have some connection with Hino. It was either factory or design, one of the two.

Toyota parts should feel right at home on a Daihatsu, for sure. They probably quit selling them here because nobody could say the name right unless they sneezed.

Hino also originally designed the Hilux IIRC.

amazingly enough i am planning on building one of these p.o.s's i have a geo tracker and it is capable as is with the 3" body lift and 1" coil spacers but the rocky is going solid axle d44 widetrack and 36" tires....i like the rocky because it comes with a factory removable hardtop and wide fender flares that can be removed fairly easy. here is close to what mine will look like,

rockylifted.jpg

similiar in color to my rocky
frame.jpg

this is a 73cj5 frame that will be under the body, instead of welding in leaf springs and all that.

this rig is going to be powered by a 2.3Turbo ford depending upon various stuff 2 t-5 transmissions and a d300 t-case(or 1 t-5 and a doubler for the 300). going to widetrack fsj d44's with 4.10's

Latest posts