• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Anyone running these in their 60's?

dr drae

MadAxleSeal.jpg

MAD4WD Dana 60 Outer Axle Seal

Work with all Ford, GM and Dodge OEM housings manufactured from 3.125" with a .500" wall thickness.

Works with Original and Aftermarket 30 and 35-Spline Shafts.

Designed to prolong life of inner axle seals and keep dirt and water from entering housing.

Completely molded design with Nickel plated bodies.

Installed seal with silicon on outside, pack cavity with grease, install shaft.....done.

http://www.mad4wd.com/tek9.asp?pg=products&specific=jmrqgpese

10 years ago there was an article in a a 4x4 mag...no wait it was a letter from a "mudder" guy who found the right sized seal to put there. Cost like $5 (probably about $10 now).
Those look nice but probably cost alot more than $10.

you will probly toast the seals in about a day with the axle walkin when you turn hard anyways

:masturbanana[1]:

you will probly toast the seals in about a day with the axle walkin when you turn hard anyways

:masturbanana[1]:

I could see a loose type of cut seal but like you say--the axle shaft will wander a lil side to side. And if you get the seal too loose then its going to trap the crap in the tube...

No, that seems like crap that you buy once you've run out of usefull **** to buy for the rig.

x2. There are already inner seals to keep the dirt out of the important part. Seems like a waste of money to me, I've never had a problem with collecting mud/debris inside the axle housing (meaning, it does collect some mud/debris... but so what?) The outer seal would have to be pretty flexible too, because as others have said, the shaft will walk side to side a bit when you turn anyway.

hERE is a perfect example of why NOT to run something of that designe---it looks like its all metal.

Jeepmauler did something simular but I think they used some kind of high density rubber or polly. Well he blew a shaft(both inners I think) and they were not able to get the shafts out on site. Look at what happens when you blow an ear or ears off an outer and just how difficult it is to get the shaft thru the outer...

I put some in mine and they slide in and I packed alittle grease in there to keep them happy. I guess we will see how they hold up I personally like the idea. If you broke an axel you could pop it out its not hard to pull out.

I put some in mine and they slide in and I packed alittle grease in there to keep them happy. I guess we will see how they hold up I personally like the idea. If you broke an axel you could pop it out its not hard to pull out.

These new u-joint front end guys :haha: :haha:

hERE is a perfect example of why NOT to run something of that designe---it looks like its all metal.

Jeepmauler did something simular but I think they used some kind of high density rubber or polly. Well he blew a shaft(both inners I think) and they were not able to get the shafts out on site. Look at what happens when you blow an ear or ears off an outer and just how difficult it is to get the shaft thru the outer...

It was UHMW and it was an expiriment.Spiral fractured the shaft and it "swaged" itself in the tube:rolleyes: yeah....it sucked but ya gotta try.

Back on topic......those seal thingies are just more **** in yer way when swappin out broke parts....there's already a seal in there so why add another

my thinking was the tube gets full of crap and this keeps crap out. I be a guinea pig cause sarg sure as sh!t aint gonna break a front shaft any time soon. And yes, at the time i had alot of money so i said wtf.

Why don't ya buy a closed knuckle dana 60 and put Bob Longs dana 60 birfields in it?:D

With Bobby's birf's in you coud and maybe should run those since the CV doesn't walk around like a u-joint and the extra shaft support would be helpful. But, with a u-joint? Axle needs to be able to move out at the joint.