• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ARB air line repair at rear dif

AnnaBanana

The Ditch Witch
OK, so I'm in the garage, and I've got the spring support away from the blue line that goes INTO the top of the rear diff on an 8.8.

NOW. The line was TOAST at the brass fitting that went into the top of the nut, and the brass fitting was somewhat mangled.

I attempted to loosen the nut at the top of the housing, to no avail, when my wrench slipped off, I managed to bang what was left of the copper interior support fitting and make an almost 90 bend of sorts out of what was left of it with a bit of blue air line still wrapped around it.

Fast forward to trying to straighten that, and get what was left of the blue air line off, I broke the SOB off at the entrance to the diff nut. So now I am led to believe I have broken off a piece of the interior air line support into the entrance of the air locker at the diff itself.

NOW WHAT?

Am I incorrect in thinking that the nut on the top of the diff where the air line enters is even able to be loosened/tightened/removed? I've searched pirate, and came up rather empty handed with the exception of one post that the guy had said he was able to tighten the brass nut. I was hoping for some detailed images and pretty much came up blank. Am I searching under the wrong titles, such as ARB air fitting replacement, air line repair etc?

What I'd like to know is how can I get this thing repaired, today? and what kinds of acts of congress need to be passed to make that happen?

web searches are showing me 'installation steps' but nothing very detailed on my situation for repair of a line.

Any constructive input would be greatly appreciated.

update: found a manual online, with an exploded diagram after giving up and calling ARB directly. apparently when this was installed it was fastened really really, REALLY tightly, now I just need to figure out how to get it unscrewed like I thought it should... :mad:

Last edited:
Can you get pictures of what actually broke? Did the line brake or the fitting that goes into the diff itself?
:corn:

Can you get pictures of what actually broke? Did the line brake or the fitting that goes into the diff itself?
:corn:
well here is a blow out diagram:

http://www.arbusa.com/uploads/PDF/onlineManualsGuides/4-01.pdf
under that link, under 170105 bulkhead fitting, the parts that I am having difficulty unscrewing... are part number 2 where it screws to part number 5. now, part number 4 goes through the air line (part number1) and that blue line, and part of number 4 broke off inside part number 2, which is the sumbiatch that I can't get unfastened, I have weak hands or something, can muscle it undone, and hence, how when the wrench slipped is how I busted off part number 4 inside part number 1 where it goes into part number 2.

oh where is my go go gadget muscles when ya need em?

and to clarify, the air line (blue) part 1, is what had the air leak originally, so I was attempting to unfasten to do an airline splice with a splice kit that I have, and as such, now I am just having issues getting the bugger unfastened.

Just make sure to not unscrew #5 from #6 as that is what keeps the copper fitting sealed inside the housing.

It should unscrew unless its been hit hard. They are only made of brass.

Alrighty bloody knuckles a hammer and some very foul "English" later, and I finally got it off. that only took forever for such a small cocksucker - so much for that manicure:redneck: