• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

ARB lines

Paulie

Looking for man love
Lately ive been having a few problems with my rear locker enguaging. Ill lock in the rear and it takes alittle to long to enguage. usually it should lock in within a few seconds. in order for it to lock i have to be moving for atleast a min. or so and to me thats not right. i checked the outside lines for leaks and those are fine..before the rear line input to the diff was loose and i tightened it. i have a bypass system that lets me drain the pump but still i dont think its working right. any ideas.

Paulie said:
Lately ive been having a few problems with my rear locker enguaging. Ill lock in the rear and it takes alittle to long to enguage. usually it should lock in within a few seconds. in order for it to lock i have to be moving for atleast a min. or so and to me thats not right. i checked the outside lines for leaks and those are fine..before the rear line input to the diff was loose and i tightened it. i have a bypass system that lets me drain the pump but still i dont think its working right. any ideas.

Detroits don't have that problem :corn:

Paulie said:

I would say 90% of arb probs relate to the o-rings...Maybee it takes a bit to make it seal cause a fawked o-ring...Is it moving fluid thru yer dif breather?

i have fluid in my compressor that i constintly have to drain, i let it run through the pump sometimes to oil it and im pretty sure it goes in my lines to the locker. been thinking of changing both diff fluids, guess ill do that tomorrow.

Bunk said:
I would say 90% of arb probs relate to the o-rings...Maybee it takes a bit to make it seal cause a fawked o-ring...Is it moving fluid thru yer dif breather?
which one would you recommend. these arbs are basically brand new still, less than 3000mi. on them. i have the heavy duty line in the rear and one day it seem to not work at all so i went down on the diff and tightened the line that goes to the pumpkin. was pretty loose and it got better but still not like my front. also one the lines to prevent them from coming loose again, what can i use to keep them pretty solid but still able to pull them off. Locktight? Tefflogn(sp)?

Paulie said:
which one would you recommend. these arbs are basically brand new still, less than 3000mi. on them. i have the heavy duty line in the rear and one day it seem to not work at all so i went down on the diff and tightened the line that goes to the pumpkin. was pretty loose and it got better but still not like my front. also one the lines to prevent them from coming loose again, what can i use to keep them pretty solid but still able to pull them off. Locktight? Tefflogn(sp)?

Neither, I think you might have caught the copper line during the install. It could have started with a small leak and gotten larger. Check that. If installed properly you don't need either locktight or teflon. They should stay tight fine. Are they used or new. Also make sure that when you pulled the line to drain the oil that was building up(that shouldn't be getting in there anyway)you didn't loose the little o-ring that sits in there.
The reason your getting gear oil in your line is due to a leak somwhere. Again probably the copper line.
Just my thoughts maybe they will help. If not get on Pirate and ask Tech Tim.

i didnt install them, a guy i bought the rig from use to work at ARB and he or that shop did it. everything is new. now when you say gear oil in the line, would that go all the way back into the pump. there shouldnt be a leak in the lines, atleast i hope not. im nervous to even dig into the diffs without messing anything up.

also want to add, when i first started using the front arb it had that loud purge when you let off the front locker, lately i noticed its alot quiter and doesnt purge, more like less air moving through. Think i explained that right

As far as ive heard oil running up a air feed line is a bad o-ring at the carrier..I have recently heard otherwise..But the one time i had oil get that high i had a bad o-ring and it took a few extra seconds to lock the front

Paulie said:
also want to add, when i first started using the front arb it had that loud purge when you let off the front locker, lately i noticed its alot quiter and doesnt purge, more like less air moving through. Think i explained that right

Yard the front diff out..You got a air issue up there.

its the front purge being less air like flow and its the rear that takes a while to enguage. bad o-rings on both? but would that effect them enguaging still on the trail. i can still use them both but have minor problems. see what im saying Joe. You gonna be busy tomorrow, maybe i can drop by and show you, its been awhile.

I have had the same problem with the rear locker taking longer to engage and disengage. Because the rear axles turn all the time oil gets pass the o-rings and into the seal housing, which works its way up the air line when the locker disengages. About once a year I spend a couple of hours and pull my third member out install new o-rings and purge any oil out of my air line and seal housing.

KarlVP said:
When was the last time you changed your gear oil? Some trash in there causing problems?

Arb's are maintenance whores.

Why do people who have never ran one spill bullshit like this :rolleyes:

Mine was spewing oil out of the solenoid but the compressor wasn't turning on like there was a leak. So I didn't have a leaky O-ring.

I did find my rear diff breather was plugged at the union coming out of the diff. Once I cleared it and all of the oil out of the line it was fine.

crash said:
Why do people who have never ran one spill bullshit like this :rolleyes:

And your post helps how?

The ARB pressurizes the diff, locking the unit. That air 'charge' goes into the diff, and eventually has to 'vent' out of the diff. It does this thru the axle vent tube. If your axle vent tube is poor shape, too small, etc then it can catch a little of the 90 weigh oil, and clog. That'll create a problem.

It's really quite a simple system. Track your air flow from the compressor, all the way to the locker. IF your seals are bad, you'll hear air leaking from the vent tube as it's flowing thru the system. Also the compressor will run on.

Another issue could be that you aren't actually sending air to the locker. So check the solinoids up front and make sure that air is actually flowing.

TreeClimber said:
And your post helps how?

The ARB pressurizes the diff, locking the unit. That air 'charge' goes into the diff, and eventually has to 'vent' out of the diff. It does this thru the axle vent tube. If your axle vent tube is poor shape, too small, etc then it can catch a little of the 90 weigh oil, and clog. That'll create a problem.

It's really quite a simple system. Track your air flow from the compressor, all the way to the locker. IF your seals are bad, you'll hear air leaking from the vent tube as it's flowing thru the system. Also the compressor will run on.

Another issue could be that you aren't actually sending air to the locker. So check the solinoids up front and make sure that air is actually flowing.

if you would have used the search feature you would have seen I have explained this all before.

Paulie said:

Clean your line out--its normal to get 90w into the air line.

Latest posts