• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

are 39.5's too big for easy locker

Torrance

i have a detroit easy locker in the front of my 85 yota axle. im unsure of how old the locker is, i bought it used and have had it about 4 years (has worked great). anyways; i recently put 39.5/13/15 iroks (old tires were 38/11/15 boggers) on my rig at the same time i changed the diff fluid. it seems since then (3 wheelin trips) it seems to be clicking really loud and not letting the passenger side lock under heavy load. i have 30 spline longfileds w/hubgears, and made sure to check if i had a broken hubgear before i went today. any help?

Those things are junk. Yours is toast.

They hate tires over 33 inches and they hate Longs.

The longs will twist up more energy than a stock shaft and when the locker (spring loaded spool) decides to unlock it has way more forced hammering the teeth.

They are junk, dont recommend them to anybody. junk.

Those things are junk. Yours is toast.

They hate tires over 33 inches and they hate Longs.

The longs will twist up more energy than a stock shaft and when the locker (spring loaded spool) decides to unlock it has way more forced hammering the teeth.

They are junk, dont recommend them to anybody. junk.

Their not junk their ****!!!! :beer:

Make sure your axle housing is straight and not slightly bent,mine was and it made my lock right do the same thing.

Make sure your axle housing is straight and not slightly bent,mine was and it made my lock right do the same thing.

Still would be a better idea just to do the Detriot and not have to worry about it. But, of course, if the housing is bent then throw that in the same pile as the cheap lock and build accordingly :redneck:

My housing has bent bent and bent back a few times.

I suggest a detroit or an ARB.

I have no experience with a grizzly and am not willing to experiment on my own dime.

Ya its very possable your housing is toast.

I know a number of guys who run Aussie lockers up front with 40' tires on sticky rock with zero problems.

My Vote is ARB and the Grizzly isn't a bad unit.

As for the easy locker there is nothing wrong with them--they serve there purpose and can wear out.

I have three busted ones here that tell me otherwise.

I have seen 2 detroits brake and I have broken my arb 3 times along with a number of other ARB repairs. Its an 8" ring gear/small case---its all weak :awesomework: and has its limitations.

One thing I have not seen is the case brake in half on a toy so to say the case is weak I won't agree---they do however have a shitty bearing surface for the side bearings.

I have seen 2 detroits brake and I have broken my arb 3 times along with a number of other ARB repairs. Its an 8" ring gear/small case---its all weak :awesomework: and has its limitations.

One thing I have not seen is the case brake in half on a toy so to say the case is weak I won't agree---they do however have a shitty bearing surface for the side bearings.

I have a broken detroit here too, but it was from bad abuse and destroying stock shafts birfs lots of times. Owner caused in my opinion.

What broke on your ARB? 60 or toy?

I have seen broke toy cases. I have taken out a few diffs with the pin (lockwrongs of course) broke in three chunks, one in the locker and the ends still in the case.

I have seen a detroit at Odies that fell in two when the carrier was removed. The one half of the detroit case was on the ring gear and the other half was by itself.

Those are rare instances tho and very uncommon.

The three busted locrites under my bench are just from diffs this year.

Even if they did last, the manners are so bad they are not worth running to me.

Most of the time a broken detroit or ARB is pulled it is because of a major failure of other parts also gave out at the same time. Like when a Long or a ring gear breaks and the shock load released breaks other parts as a result.

ALL the lunchbox failures I have seen were the only thing wrong with the axle and not caused by other parts.

Toy stuff of course.. (center pins and cracked case). My 60 arb's are just fine. All my broken toy arbs were of the early design's--I would still recommend them.

So you have seen the cases snapped in half? Something I have not seen myself as typically the ring/pinion give up first but I get to see allot of the GM variations with cases in half(in fact its about that time of year to start seeing them).

My POS V6 lockrite is the ONLY thing I have not broke in the frontend. Only a matter of time.:corn:

The V6 version is an exception. I used one years ago and it never failed.

The V6 ones are a different design than the 4 cyl ones and reuse the side gears from toyota. The ausie is the exception, its the same as the 4 cyl ones.

I had a V6 lockrite kickin around the shop so I put it in the rear of my wheeler. I have always ran a spool or welded diff and figured if it was gonna die, it would die fast in the rear axle. Its been in there for three years now and still works perfect. Any time its on the lift I can hold back one tire and turn the other one while its free and ratcheting and then pull the tire Im holding and the other tire will quickly change directions just like a smoothly working detroit does.

The different design and reuse of more toyota parts seems to be the ticket.

Cheap too, at 250 they are the cheapest possible way to lock up a toyota diff as long as ya got the V6 diff to use.

Their is no such thing as ''to big of tires" If parts break. Then the parts arent strong enough..:awesomework::corn: