• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Asking to much...

Gittinit

When do You draw the line?

Last weekend I'm out in the shop, this is my only day off and I'm trying to get stuff done. My (renters if that makes a difference) neighbors come by wanting to borrow an air compressor because they had a low tire. Not getting a good vibe I air up a air tank and send it over with them. Few hrs pass and I'm getting back in the groove working and here he comes again well this time he sent his kid. He wanted a tire put back on the wheel. Had some problems and when I expressed how buisy I was he quickly called his buddy over and between us we got it beaded back out. Not long after I tried getting back into my work and couldn't so I just went inside and chilled till bedtime.

A co worker of mine has a bagged Nissan that was evidently built by some 10 year old with a stick welder and a torch. After driving it a while the links started ripping off the frame so he decided to build a back half. Him and a buddy of his got a half assed start before his buddy bailed on him. Knowing I do some fabrication work he asked for my help. I agreed as long as we could do it on my time frame at his shop a couple hrs here and there after work. After doing a bit of work and realizing he wasn't wanting help but for me to do it for him it didn't take long for me to realize I am done. I got aggravated with how some of the work was coming out and have told him perhaps one of his other Buddy's would do him a better job.
I have not gotten paid nor was that the intent but his reacreaction was that of a kid pitching a fit. So now its time to tell him I won't be back to help.

And tonight I get home from work. Reading a bit before bed and hear a knock at the door. Now its midnight and although I'm normally up at this time I was completely caught off guard. Neighbor evidently though it was appropriate to knock on my door and ask for help with his vehicle. he is having issues with his battery cables and asked if I have some tools or if I can help. I politely declined, prolly should of the first time.

I spend 80% of my free time working on other people stuff and 20% on my own stuff.
I can't get anything done if someone is "helping" me. Either I don't trust them or I have to explain it, so I might as well do it myself.

On a side note I seen you were from Paragould. I'll be there for the fair. My family has been going there for at least 20 years.

Thats how it goes,,,and for sure dont let them know you work on air conditioners!

Eddyj said:
I spend 80% of my free time working on other people stuff and 20% on my own stuff.
I can't get anything done if someone is "helping" me. Either I don't trust them or I have to explain it, so I might as well do it myself.

On a side note I seen you were from Paragould. I'll be there for the fair. My family has been going there for at least 20 years.

Had no idea the Greene county fair drew anyone from out of state. But definitely don't miss the Friday night Derby. Its my favorite attraction every year. One of the only local things I take time off work for.

I have been there 1000 times. Ya must be to nice. That's my problem. I do and do for others, Until I have had it and usually blow up. It's gets ugly and they get the point. There's a diff between helpin someone and being used and abused. Perfect example, my neighbor's daughter car blew head gasket.. He decides he would do it himself, Prob with that is he had ZERO tools. It started off one wrench, the a couple, and 40 trips later I'm hollerin at him, mad as hell. **** drives me nuts. I guess it's because I was raised different than that. I would bet that most of us that are on here have our own **** and if not we wanna buy it not "borrow" every dam thing. I hate feeling like a bum. Tell me to piss off or they won't ever stop buddy. God I have been there so mang times. I would almost guess Ur a people person, that's always helpin others. I know I am. It's hard for me to be an asshole to someone for no reason. But man when I do snap... Well atleast i usuAlly don't have to worry bout talkin to them again. Good luck.. E

Re:

Kush nailed it. Your to nice. I have the same problem. It really burns you out when you go to work on your own stuff.

It makes me feel small to turn someone in need away. Someone took the time from there life to help me once, to teach me, mentor me. I truly believe in paying it toward. The problem is... When is enough enough? When have I gave so much its now become expected of me?

There has to be a line drawn somewhere. Nice guy or not if I say no I feel selfish and don't like it.

My neighbor walked out to my shop 1-2 years ago to ask if i had a tool he could borrow. Cant remember what it was but I got it and sent him on his way thinking I HOPE this dont turn into a habit since he got a glimpse of the tools I have. Luckily to this day he has not asked anymore. I try to keep the doors shut when hes outside. Im too nice and cant say no but like Kush once I have enough its over lol.

Might be time to sale your house and relocate :****:

Re:

Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he will eat forever.

Fish for him and he will be a lazy bum..... like the dependant system our government built.

Re: Re: Re:

TheViking said:
Teach a man to fish and he will eat for a day, teach him how to fish and he will eat forever.

Fish for him and he will be a lazy bum..... like the dependant system our government built.
It's give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.... :dblthumb:

Re: Re: Re:

Rokcrler said:
It's give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.... :dblthumb:
Give a man an adage and he'll quote it from time to time. Teach a man to adage and... ummm, adage. Yeah.

Let's change it to " teach a man where to buy tools and he'll fix his junk forever" :****:

At the end of the day you just have to remember that God pays you in return for everything you feel, say and do. Both great things and bad things.

So as much of a pain it is sometimes to help the seemingly helpless, you get paid back one way or another. It's all in how you look at it. Especially when you truly expect nothing in return for your help.

God is great and has blessed a lot of us with healthy families, jobs and skills.

I know this feeling all to well! Seams everytime i turn around someone has something that i magicaly know how to fix or weld or just build all together. Truth of the matter is, modt of the time i have no clue how to do what that want, but am not scared to screw something up.

And my favorite phrase, ( you have an aluminum welder? You must know how to fix the holes i drilled in my boat!!)

LightBnDr said:
At the end of the day you just have to remember that God pays you in return for everything you feel, say and do. Both great things and bad things.

So as much of a pain it is sometimes to help the seemingly helpless, you get paid back one way or another. It's all in how you look at it. Especially when you truly expect nothing in return for your help.

God is great and has blessed a lot of us with healthy families, jobs and skills.

^^^x2. "A friend in need........"