• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Auto Shifters

crash2

-Oh no I picked a side-
So still learning and figuring what I want.

Right now I am heavily leaning to the winters shifter which from what I can tell is the same as the art carr.

Now what is the difference in the mounting setups? I see flush and console mount. I figure with how my seats will be I will need to build a riser(help in patching the old shifter hole) to get it closer to me. So whats the difference.

So the cheapest I have found is thru summit but they don't show other shift gate options.The second place is called "wide open design" and they offer a rockgate with it for 209(and an option for a reverse lamp sw)

Thinking back I got mine from Wide open designs also Mike, I got mine with the cover also. Mounting is very simple, with 2 options of cable length depending on your need.

For my YJ, I installed a TH400 and used a Kia Sephia 3 speed shifter, and matching Kia cable. Worked perfect. I even snagged an extra in case I needed spare parts down the road. But 10 plus years later, the Kia/TH400 combo still works great.

For my TJ, I went Art Carr / Winters as I thought it would 'look' better.

ive never been a fan of the art carr style gate shifter.i dislike the big giant gates,,i have to side with darren b&m prostick or hurst quarter stick with reverse lockout removed.so you can get to reverse very quickly,or back to forward.

Things I consider when buying an auto shifter for off road use especially with a manual shift trans.
1- Speed/accuracy when shifting, nothings worse than missing gears and hitting reverse etc on accident.
2- Being to be able to go from a forward gear to reverse gear very fast to prevent going over backwards on a vertical climb. For off road you don't want to have to find reverse. Have seen too many times people roll over backwards because taking too much time to find reverse.
4- Saying all that IMO the Winters/Art Car shifter is the best choice for how I like to wheel, and with cutting one gate out I can hit reverse in one very fast motion, not to mention fast/accurate shifting. Good luck with your decision Mike.

Art Carr hands down! Endless mounting options. Hurst and b&m are for cars imo. There's a reason why %95 of buggys run them. Adams guys are full of info as they build some sick consules

Mike,
PM me your address & I will send you an old B&M Prostick.
You can see if you like it, mod it to your likes, whatever.
I have no use for it, pay it forward.

The one you hooked up for me is the winter/art Carr not flush mount which means it came with that plastic piece

I have the B&M bandit pro fricken awesome shifter, been in my buggy for over 6 years and still on the original cable. everyone thats driven my buggy ends up putting one in their own. very easy to mod, as its on billy vista's shifter mod on pirate. I can slam neutral by simply pulling the trigger while slammin it forward or slam reverse without pulling the trigger

I have the art carr in mine. Very positive shifts, you never have to look to see which gear you are in. The only problem with mine is that with a 4 speed I can't get a smooth shift from low gears to reverse with out losing easy to find 3-4. This rig doesn't need that though.

With a TH350 shifter its a easy gate mod, or just order the rock gate.

I got mine from Jimmy's 4x4. At the time they had the best prices and came with real steel mounting brackets instead of the plastic POS they come stock with.

My Art Carr came with the plastic console. Even my honky ass found it to ghetto looking to use. It's very easy to use the 2 bolt holes on each side to mount it instead. I bought it direct from Art Carr Performance Transmissions but I don't see their store site up anymore. I really like the shifter as a whole unit. I just ordered the standard gate as I usually leave mine in 2nd gear and can go 2-3-N-R very quickly with the N-3 gate removed. I didn't need the rock gate. But, with a reverse pattern I can definitely see the advantage of the rock gate since 1-N-R are all together.

Mike,
PM me your address & I will send you an old B&M Prostick.
You can see if you like it, mod it to your likes, whatever.
I have no use for it, pay it forward.

I actually got lucky and I am picking up a tube chassis to finish for a guy and he has a bunch of shifters-one being a pro-stick so I can look it over.

The one you hooked up for me is the winter/art Carr not flush mount which means it came with that plastic piece

I finally found a display that showed pics of all 3 and ya yours is a console mount..

So after playing with a couple :redneck: I went and ordered a art carr with the rockgate :awesomework:

Thinking back I got mine from Wide open designs also Mike, I got mine with the cover also. Mounting is very simple, with 2 options of cable length depending on your need.

Ditto, it's the Art Carr reincarnate...console shifter with all sorts of shifter cable length options.