• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

automatic tranny

231toyota

i have a 72 jeep cj5 with a 304,t-90 3 spd tranny?, and i believe a model 20 transfer case. my question is what auto. tranny will bolt up to the 304 and transfer case with out a lot of headaches,or what 4spd.tranny will work.
thanks for any help ya'll can give.

Freeride said:
Look for a turbo 400 out of a FSJ with the Dana 20. It will have a centered rear differential.

Exactly right. Full Sized Jeeps used TH400 Automatics which are a direct bolt in behind the AMC engine blocks. These automatics have a AMC only bell housing shape. BEWARE that most of the AMCs with TH400s have the crappy Quadratrack transfer case.

you talkin about like a jeep wagoneer or a like a j-io ,j-20 jeep truck? with that turbo 400 and dana 20 transfer case?

The Jeep T-400/D-20 is WAY too long for a CJ-5. I had one but gave it to Dan Osler from the Tamers. He probably still has it in his stuff. The shorter auto option for an AMC powered machine is to find the Mopar TF-727 from a mid 80's Wag and use an adapter to what ever T-case you have. There is the Mopar 909's from YJ's but they are too week for V-8's. You can use the Chevy T-350's but you have two adapters to buy, one for the motor and one for the T-case-lots of $$$.

If you go TH400, get the shorter aftermarket adapters (they are stronger) Another option is find an IH with gas 6 cyl (It's an AMC 6) as the 727 is likely already mated to a D20. I was looking into an AW4/D20 adapter, but it's too much $$ for my J4000 so I went AMC 727 with Mopar NP208D. (RH drop) I hope to get that installed pretty soon too. I need to get my trans in my Comanche changed thurs/fri this week.

231toyota said:
i have a 72 jeep cj5 with a 304,t-90 3 spd tranny?, and i believe a model 20 transfer case. my question is what auto. tranny will bolt up to the 304 and transfer case with out a lot of headaches,or what 4spd.tranny will work.
thanks for any help ya'll can give.

I had the same set up in my 75 CJ5 and I ditched the tranny and t-case for a TF-727 and Dana 300(direct bolt in). Placed a CV rear driveline and gave her hell. Never had any problems:D

again i thank all the replys for this help, you dont know how much this helps..
i like the ideal of the 727 and dana 300, thanks again fer all the input..:clappy: