Votes: 1 2.7%
  • 14 Bolt with Shave!!

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • 2 1/2 Ton Rockwells

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Other???? And WHY??

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters
Super low pinion...never had an issue...neither did Mauler or Tom L.

Weaker Gears...please explain, my 9" gears are stronger than a low pinion 60 gear of equal ratio.

Weaker housing...tuna cans will only go so far

Clearance...the housing is easily cut for more clearance...no extra money involved.

Oddball parts...I don't quite understand that one, there's nothing custom on my 9" rear that I can't find at Napa or Randy's R&P.

I don't remember saying anything about maintenance :rolleyes:

I said strong...and besides, my 9 requires no more maintenance then your brand name rear.

super low pinion. It's a DD, even a low 60 is stretching it in most cases with a stock location rear axle.

Weaker gear's, Other than picture's of the two side by side, who has done a legit test to see if the 9 is stronger, or visa versa? Also, I'd bet a 9" 3rd deflect's a wee bit more than a 60 housing.

tuna can's, I have done about all you can to a 9's strength, and in the end it's still a tuna can holding in the tubes.

Sure you can cut it for clearance, it's just taking away from housing strength is all.

Not so much oddball part's in a rear 9, I was more refering to a front 9. sorry

You're 9 require's no more maintnence? I wonder how I ended up with the detroit for my front:flipoff:

Brad I hope to someday know everything like you. Just cause it's what you have doesn't make it the best:fawkdancesmiley:

Good GOD can we stop measuring our dicks and get back to the discussion at hand.

Just for SHITS & GRINS, How narrow can I make Rockwells? I know I can turn the hubs but that isn't what I mean. Can I narrow them enough to have a 74-76" overall width? Yes I know they are heavy, yes I know they are big but what the hell they could be fun to build!!

What in God's Green Earth are you smoking Mr Wildman?

People climb mountains for no reason other than to say they did.
I am sitting here at home with a BROKEN JEEP and a BROKEN AXLE THAT ISN"T SUPPOSE TO BREAK. I am bored, depressed(not related to Jeep), and want something to do. So I have been surfing all day. I have always thought Duce axles were :cool: :cool: so why not put some in my Jeep. Bet I won't break when I romp on the skinny pedal!!

Um, yeah them axle won't break. But they're bigger'n boat anchors. More like supertanker anchors. You planning on running 44 boggers or 52 irocs? And the link arms, will they want to hold them gawdawfuls. And wheels, you want new beadlocks? Um, yeah, they're also gawdaful wide too, so bring a chainsaw and some dy-no-mite

Call Dynatrack and price out a bare housing - or -
Look on Craigslist and get a low pinion - or -
Rebuild your existing POS.

Those are the only three options that make sense. And no matter what Crusty says about D44s, your wheels, brakes, axle shafts, locker will all transfer ONLY to another 60 housing. So any D44 will need a lot of money thrown at it.

Last edited:
I am not going to argue that point. Getting the top loaders to fit with little lift is the big hurdle. Probably won't do it but it is fun to look at all the options.

Good God My Hollyness I am breaking D60 parts so how is a D44 going to live????
No you're not. I am pretty well convinced that you're not breaking it, something is wrong with it and it is breaking itself.

I run 36's on a 44 and I bet I'm just as hard on it as you are on yours (excluding the times I'm doing something really stupid), and I can't break the gears.

The only things I've broken on the read 44 are the Warn lockouts (full float kit), and the housing (paper thin waggy POS).

Last edited:
And no matter what Crusty says about D44s, your wheels, brakes, axle shafts, locker will all transfer ONLY to another 60 housing. So any D44 will need a lot of money thrown at it.
I was being facetious of course. That same logic is what kept me with a 44 after killing and dismembering a housing. But the point stands. A 44 would be sufficient.