• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

axle width and tire width

t3banshee

i posted over on pirate and really didnt get the response i was looking for. I have decided that i'm going with diamond axles. i'm thinking 64 or 66" wide diamond axles depending upon how wide of a tire i run. which brings me to my next question: what would be a better setup? (1) wide axles and skinny tires or (2) axles that are a little narrower and wider tires? thanks

Let me guess you are 85yota350 over on por :D

It really depends on how you use the rig.

Myself I am 62" front/61" rear with 2" BS wheels and I only have problems fitting on the hammerz....

Both my rigs (the wheeler and the unfinished project) are at 62 inch wheel mounting surface to wheel mounting surface. They also measure 76 to the ourside edge of the tires.

new trails are being cut at 72" wide.
Believe the trail jamboree limits width to 74" for the tough trails.

I know guys run wider but it gives you a place to start.

(1) wide axles and skinny tires or (2) axles that are a little narrower and wider tires?

In between :flipoff: . I think you should go with average-width tires & the 64" axle. 66 is pretty much full width, and while you may only be talking about 2" difference, I think I would rather be mid-size than full width (but an 1" on each side isn't even going to be noticeable).

But on the other hand, axle-shafts might be easier to find in the 66" size