• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bent rim?

skipnrocks

I caught my inner bead on a rock and bent it decent. I upped it off and used a bfh and straighted it out but not it had a slow leak. Should I just pull the tire and put rtv behind it?

If it's not terrible clean it real good and bead seal it. Unless it's bent pretty good it probably just has some trash in the bead.

I bent it pretty good. It caught one section of the bead and pealed it back about 2 inches, and the spread of the deformity was probably 4-5 inches making a v. A few good hits with a 10 lb hammer and it looks mostly straight but does leak slowly out right were the v was. It has a small wrinkle I cant work out of it. So I guess Ill clean it well and add some rtv and run it and see what happens.

SBJeepn said:
I bent it pretty good. It caught one section of the bead and pealed it back about 2 inches, and the spread of the deformity was probably 4-5 inches making a v. A few good hits with a 10 lb hammer and it looks mostly straight but does leak slowly out right were the v was. It has a small wrinkle I cant work out of it. So I guess Ill clean it well and add some rtv and run it and see what happens.
Rtv never gets solid so it just fills the void. If it's bad enough it can still burp air. Pick up some bead sealer and put on it. Just don't get it on anything but the bead that **** don't come off

Re: Bent rim?

Duct tape around the bead will work too.

Also you can put a small bottle jack inside the wheel to straighten it. Works better than a hammer in my experience

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll have the try the bottle jack and get me some bead sealer. Since their a military double headlock I don't worry a lot about burping a bead. But I'm sure bead sealer is best

I didn't take a pic before I tried to fix it but I have some since I attempted a repair shoot me a pm with your phone number and I'll text ya what I got. I don't have a means to post them now that ohotobucked is terrible now

I have always got them to about 50 psi, soap the area that it's leaking from, then frail on it with the hammer til you stop seeing the bubbles forming. Works every time most of the time. Wouldn't do that on aluminum though.

I'm in Montana I got it to a slow leak but the wrinkle is permanent I think. I cleaned it real well and put a heavy bead of rtv in and it's holding air good. Now I'll jist keep a good eye out for a humvee 8 bolt to do a legit job. I can't seem to find one though

SBJeepn said:
I caught my inner bead on a rock and bent it decent. I upped it off and used a bfh and straighted it out but not it had a slow leak. Should I just pull the tire and put rtv behind it?

Yes. I've don't this to 3 out of 4 wheels im currently running.