• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best/fastest way to fix this...

Once you get it apart make sure to check the hole and see if its ovaled out. If its ovaled then you'll need to fix that problem as well.

Re:

Hmmmmm......as much as I don't wanna cut that tab off....that sounds really fast/easy.

I know this isn't rocket science....jus thought somebody may see something I dont (like cutting the tab off ::) )

I'm just seeing this thread, just an observation what size is the bolt? If it's atleast 5/8's you can drill a hole in the center and use an ease out to turn the bolt and loosen the nut off of it like normal! Always try and keep it simple don't panic! haha if you just want to make it more difficult cut the nut and bolt with a sawsall wouldn't take to long either.

Or just get a pry bar pry up on the hiem to put tension on the bolt grab a wrench and turn the nut off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pholmann said:
Take a nut and place it directly over the broken end of the bolt, weld the nut through the center to the bolt. Take two wrenches and remove the nut that's threaded on and remove and replace the bolt. This is how I remove broken exhaust manifold bolts in heads. If you need help give me a shout and I'll ride down and give you a Gand or load it up and bring it over and I'll help you with it. I need to get your jacket back to you anyway.
Sounds like your best bet is to go buy some beer, call this dude and have him do it as you hand him tools and beers.

If that is a nylon lock nut and not an oblong lock nut, you may be able to use an drill and an extractor to back it out. Could heat up the nylon so it melts out and doesn't lock anymore. :dunno:

grcthird said:
If that is a nylon lock nut and not an oblong lock nut, you may be able to use an drill and an extractor to back it out. Could heat up the nylon so it melts out and doesn't lock anymore. :dunno:

Good call on the heat.

Re:

As I've had this rig for a little over a year now it's built really really well but little things like these bolts ....I snapped a couple of them and I'm finding out why...... the ones that were used were a little bit too short and the actual heim joint is riding right where the threads meet the hard shank of the bolt.... right at the weakest spot.

This will be the third bolt... I've been replacing them in pairs as I go.

Luckily there has been no catastrophic damage each time one has broken mainly because the nuts have been Tack welded to the tabs

So obviously I'll be replacing the other bolt on the other side when this one is fixed to prevent an update on this thread.

Re:

tonybolton said:
As I've had this rig for a little over a year now it's built really really well but little things like these bolts ....I snapped a couple of them and I'm finding out why...... the ones that were used were a little bit too short and the actual heim joint is riding right where the threads meet the hard shank of the bolt.... right at the weakest spot.

This will be the third bolt... I've been replacing them in pairs as I go.

Luckily there has been no catastrophic damage each time one has broken mainly because the nuts have been Tack welded to the tabs

So obviously I'll be replacing the other bolt on the other side when this one is fixed to prevent an update on this thread.

Grade 9 bolts are on clearance at fastenal right now

Re:

I picked up a box of those some time ago....put some in my lowers

I really don't think it's a bolt strength issue I think it's just a properly sized bolt issue.

Well....the sawzall and 10 blades seem to make it happen.....holy **** that wore me out. Such an awkward position to lay in and put pressure on.

ec1c16983b9e08568d81cfeb7f587f33.jpg

Re:

tonybolton said:
Thanks guys.....my neighbors are thanking you for reducing the ****s that will be said during this extraction.
If they say something tell them to shut the **** up and mind third own ****ing business.

TheViking said:
If they say something tell them to shut the **** up and mind third own ****ing business.

She's like 80.....mows her yard like 3 times a week. She's jus looking for stuff to fill in the other parts of her day. I think it may be like the Coyote/Roadrunner syndrome where if the Coyote ever actually caught the Roadrunner.....it wouldn't know what to do. ;) She's a nice lady....but I get the evil eye from time to time when she's on her 5th mowing and i'm not on my 1st. ;)