• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best front locker

money_pit_yj

Probably already one on here but here goes.
ARB vs Detroit vs lunchbox locker

It's going in a Dana 60 front running 37s hopefully 42s in the future. I know opinions are like _________, but I was just wondering what was going on with other guys and their rigs.

Hands down Arb. Detroit and lunch box can't take the shock load of a shaft breaking like the Arb can. I broke 10+ shafts/u-joints in my front 44 and never had a issue with the Arb. My buddy broke his Detroit both times he broke a shaft. The Arb in my current 60 held up fine to a shaft letting go also.

ARBs, front and rear, on both of my rigs. Only issues in 7 years with the main unit, is putting a hole in it with a broken ring gear tooth. Happened twice and required a new locker. Have not had the issue since I awapped from the DynaTrac ProRock 60 housing. There is just not enough clearance in that housing for debris. Also, the air silinoids will give problems at some point. Delete them and install air switches from PowerTank.

133.227.300x200.Toggle_dual.jpg

http://powertank.com/products/sfID1/27/productID/133

Check out yukons lockers too, exactly the same as a detroit and you can get a lifetime warrenty for $50 extra

Our club has quite a few guys running Yukon grizzly lockers with heavy feet and no issues. I would not run a Detroit and I'm just not a fan of the air lockers although I know plenty of people running them without issues, for the most part.

I ran lunch boxes at one time, the detroit variety, I would stay away from those, I broke both the front and back, cheap easy to install, but the old saying, you get what you pay for. I run detroits now, the rear has been welded to become a solid orb of traction beacause I exploded it at the GAP on Marcs wall and I am too cheap to replace it. The front one has had the side gear replaced, which was about half the cost of a new locker. I hear the ones I am running are called the soft locker as oppsed to the "hard" locker and the soft locker is prone to stripping the side gears when you have a shear break on the axle. I am no expert but that is exactly what happened in both cases with mine. The guys I know with the ARB's rarely have "break" issues, they might have an occasional air line or compressor issue, but like John G was saying, that would probably be the best. The other good thing about the arb is that if you run on the pavement at all when you unlock them they act as open front and rear ends which in my opion is the best of both worlds. I have heard good things about the yukons too, but have no hands on experience with them. Just my 2 cents.

GONOVRIT said:
Our club has quite a few guys running Yukon grizzly lockers with heavy feet and no issues. I would not run a Detroit and I'm just not a fan of the air lockers although I know plenty of people running them without issues, for the most part.

x2 the grizzly locker is amazing. The little details and things they did to make it stronger than a detroit is awesome. I love mine and have no issues with it. When my rcv blew it held together I will not run any other kind of locker ever again. I have had detroit lockers blow. i blew one in my dana 35 when I was driving on the street and blew the one when I upgraded to a super 35. I know that was in a 35 but i was also only running like 32'2 or 33's at that point. Spend the extra get the grizzly and the warranty.

The only thing about the warranty is you have to use yukon gears and the set up kit though but they will cover up to like 2k or something in collateral damages if the locker fails.

Well. Yaayyy. so I take it it is just a matter of time before my spartan up front takes a ****?? Dammit. Haven't had any issues with it at all. I knew I should not have read this thread. :****: Haha this is never ending!! I can assure you I will never have an ARB, would love to.. Just seems like a Nightmare puttin it in.. And then there's the price. Sheeeshh Sorry for hijacking the thread.. I'm assuming that a selectable locker is preferred over and lunchbox type because of strength??? And 5 Bro's wat h mean 7014, ? I thought you may have been talking about welding it up.

kushKrawlin said:
Well. Yaayyy. so I take it it is just a matter of time before my spartan up front takes a ****?? Dammit. Haven't had any issues with it at all. I knew I should not have read this thread. :****: Haha this is never ending!! I can assure you I will never have an ARB, would love to.. Just seems like a Nightmare puttin it in.. And then there's the price. Sheeeshh Sorry for hijacking the thread.. I'm assuming that a selectable locker is preferred over and lunchbox type because of strength??? And 5 Bro's wat h mean 7014, ? I thought you may have been talking about welding it up.

He is. 7014 is the welding rod. :flipper:

Re: Re: Best front locker

Saw this on Facebook and thought of this thread....
ereha7az.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk