• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Best way to measure sprung weight

Krobbie

Hey guys want to weight the sprung weight on the rear corners of my 40 landcruiser so I can get my coil over coils.
What is the best method in doing so?
Cheers

Re:

I took a set of race car scales, put the frame on jack stands unbolted the shackle side of my axle and so the only weight on the scales was the weight of the tires And axle. Not sure if that's the best way but worked good for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Re: Re: Best way to measure sprung weight

Get a pair of any coils that you know the rate of, set the rig down on them and measure deflection

Re: Re: Best way to measure sprung weight

Get a pair of any coils that you know the rate of, set the rig down on them and measure deflection

A friend of mine had a set of 100 # springs we put on my coilovers. Measured height before and after. Took the difference times 2 times 100. I believe with mine they compressed 6 inches. So 6x2=12, 12x100=1200#. As far as what springs to get I called Wayne Israelsen at Alltech motorsports and told him what I had and he came up with a PAC spring package. In my case the coil was compressed the same on each side. If it is different let Wayne know.His prices on springs are as good or better as anybody out there and he knows what he is doing. This way I didn't have to worry about weighing the axle then subtracting that weight. Keep in mind this is what I used for a trail rig and it worked well. If you plan on racing you may want to get a little more precise.

Re:

Found it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/general-4x4-discussion/933614-using-hydraulic-cylinder-weigh-stuff.html

The way I did it was to do a four corner weigh. Remove the top shock bolts and raise the body a couple of inches. Re-weigh the unsprung weight. Subtract the two.