• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Big Geen Egg Grill

Wal Mart keeps Royal Oak lump. I have had really good luck with it. I have used hundreds of bags. We used it when we were competing and never had any problems. Stock up on wood chunks. You can change the flavor of a piece of meat using different kinds of wood more than you could ever imagine. Wal-Mart has cherry, apple, hickory, pecan and mesquite chunks. Buy totes to keep it dry and just fill up the tote when it gets low and you aways have a good supply of charcoal and wood. Make sure to label the wood so you know what is what. I have been on a cherry kick here lately. Makes ribs come out just right. If you need a good recipe McMinn has one of the best rib recipes I have ever heard about :dblthumb:

ibrokeit said:
Fogo on amazon. Try it and you'll never use anything else.

we tried some of that and found a piece of plywood in it. I also tried the stuff at sam's and found cardboard in it. There is some really high end charcoal out there, but I have always had good luck with the Royal Oak. They have a 40lb bag called Chef's Select that is good to, more fines than the red back but works well.

smbroady82 said:
Gonna try some steaks tonight, any suggestions on temp./duration?

I do mine hot as all holy **** for 3 or 4 minutes per side or till a meat thermometer reads 135 inside, then let em rest for 5 or 8 minutes. rub em in salt, grapseed oil and pepper first and let them come up to room temperature before you put them on.

This does NOT work well for super thick steaks though. for those I usually sear em 2 or 3 minutes per side then take them off, and lower the temp to 350 or 400, put em back on to cook thru. they get tough if you do that hot af method on a real thick one.

Not the best photo but..

On the stick, I put string cheese then wrapped it in deer burger mixed with salt, pepper, and dizzy pig. Wrapped 2 in bacon.

The poppers are nilgai tenderloin and deer tenderloin. Diced up pickled jalapeños from a jar, mixed with whipped cream cheese, and wrapped in bacon. Amazing.

Attachments

• IMG_6952.JPG
    IMG_6952.JPG
    198.1 KB · Views: 105
ibrokeit said:
Not the best photo but..

On the stick, I put string cheese then wrapped it in deer burger mixed with salt, pepper, and dizzy pig. Wrapped 2 in bacon.

The poppers are nilgai tenderloin and deer tenderloin. Diced up pickled jalapeños from a jar, mixed with whipped cream cheese, and wrapped in bacon. Amazing.

that all looks awesome

I ended up getting it pretty hot (around 600degrees), then put them on for 4min on each side (they were pretty thick).. after the 8min they were almost ready done but still rare, so I started cutting the temp down and let them sit on the grill for a minute or so longer, came out med rare like I wanted and were very juicy. :dblthumb:

I've cooked on this thing twice and can't believe how juicy everything turns out, even with me just starting to learn how to use it.

smbroady82 said:
I've cooked on this thing twice and can't believe how juicy everything turns out, even with me just starting to learn how to use it.

That's the best part about the egg. Doesn't dry foods out.

This thread has got me wanting to try one out.

Menards has 11% off right now so a Kamodo Joe would be $256 after discount. Think it's time :eat:

Make sure you get a good thermometer. Love my Thermopen. Quick fast temps just did some steaks last night seared each side then closed the egg up to kill the fire and left the steaks on till they were 160ish internal and pulled them.

So far my favorite is smoking a ham but i havent had my egg long and plan to continue to try new things.

As for the guys looking at getting an egg. I purchased mine at an egg festival in Georgia (BGE headquarters is in ATL) and got a really good discount on a demo egg (still has the warranty) as well as discounts on alot of accessories.

I am planning on taking the camper over to the festival again this year and make a weekend out of it. Lots of great food to eat and try all cooked on the egg as well as tons of experienced egg heads to ask questions and learn.

http://mountainegg.com/

The large egg festival is held every year at Stone Mountain in October. Its put on by BGE themselves and is supposedly the largest BGE festival.

(Last years event page) http://biggreenegg.com/eggtoberfest/

xjkrawler said:
Make sure you get a good thermometer. Love my Thermopen. Quick fast temps just did some steaks last night seared each side then closed the egg up to kill the fire and left the steaks on till they were 160ish internal and pulled them.

So far my favorite is smoking a ham but i havent had my egg long and plan to continue to try new things.

As for the guys looking at getting an egg. I purchased mine at an egg festival in Georgia (BGE headquarters is in ATL) and got a really good discount on a demo egg (still has the warranty) as well as discounts on alot of accessories.

I am planning on taking the camper over to the festival again this year and make a weekend out of it. Lots of great food to eat and try all cooked on the egg as well as tons of experienced egg heads to ask questions and learn.

http://mountainegg.com/

The large egg festival is held every year at Stone Mountain in October. Its put on by BGE themselves and is supposedly the largest BGE festival.

(Last years event page) http://biggreenegg.com/eggtoberfest/

I plan on trying to come for one day.

xjkrawler said:

Thermapen is by far the single best investment we ever bought when cooking regularly.

Smoked ham is killer! We get a spiral sliced ham and take the glaze packet and mix with our favorite bbq sauce and reduce it to a sticky glaze , after basting with apple juice concentrate and bbq sauce I finish it the last hour with the glaze and rub. Smoke it slow and low with a heavy cherry smoke. Fine eating! Just dont get any on your forehead, your tongue will beat your brains out trying to get a taste.

money_pit_yj said:
Thermapen is by far the single best investment we ever bought when cooking regularly.

Smoked ham is killer! We get a spiral sliced ham and take the glaze packet and mix with our favorite bbq sauce and reduce it to a sticky glaze , after basting with apple juice concentrate and bbq sauce I finish it the last hour with the glaze and rub. Smoke it slow and low with a heavy cherry smoke. Fine eating! Just dont get any on your forehead, your tongue will beat your brains out trying to get a taste.

Truth!! Amazon deal of the day for anyone needing one...

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP03A-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B01IHHLB3W/ref=gbps_img_s-3_bb19_0b463487?smid=A39VTLCPMNRL3Z&pf_rd_p=41fd713f-6bfe-4299-a021-d2b94872bb19&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=9TTX9XJBB64BNEQ7V2VR

I smoked one for christmas. Spiral cut. Set the ham up vertical in a pan. I got a can of pineapple slices. Used the juice mixed with brown sugar and poured that over the ham and used the slices and stuck them to the outside of the ham with cherrys in the middle of the slices. Then let it smoke at like 300 for 4 hours covered in foil. Every 30 min i would go out uncover and re-baste the ham with the drippings. Had amazing flavor and the pineapples at the end were like candy!

xjkrawler said:
Truth!! Amazon deal of the day for anyone needing one...

https://www.amazon.com/ThermoPro-TP03A-Digital-Cooking-Thermometer/dp/B01IHHLB3W/ref=gbps_img_s-3_bb19_0b463487?smid=A39VTLCPMNRL3Z&pf_rd_p=41fd713f-6bfe-4299-a021-d2b94872bb19&pf_rd_s=slot-3&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_i=gb_main&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=9TTX9XJBB64BNEQ7V2VR

I smoked one for christmas. Spiral cut. Set the ham up vertical in a pan. I got a can of pineapple slices. Used the juice mixed with brown sugar and poured that over the ham and used the slices and stuck them to the outside of the ham with cherrys in the middle of the slices. Then let it smoke at like 300 for 4 hours covered in foil. Every 30 min i would go out uncover and re-baste the ham with the drippings. Had amazing flavor and the pineapples at the end were like candy!

Not to sound like a jerk but I never understood the thinking behind covering the meat to "smoke" it. Aren't you defeating the original purpose of having it on a smoker? You basically are just putting it in a outdoor oven. I DO understand cooking uncovered for X amount of time to get the smoke ring and flavor and then wrapping to maintain moisture and then low and slow for tenderness.