• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Big Surprise

JPTHING

So in line with our current luck lately, we have yet another thing happen. So what does this mean?

* ICP voltage not at expected level

* Turbo boost pressure not detected

This is a 1999 F350 7.3 PSD

What do I need to do to fix the problem.

I dont know **** about diesels but I know alot about turbos and boost, It sounds kinda like if your not getting boost pressure then maybe your waste gate, or blow off valve is faulty and not functioning properly
Thats just a guess tho good luck:beer:

Not sure without looking at the mannual but it sounds like it could be a bad map sensor.....How does it drive? Does the turbo seem like it works?

Not sure without looking at the mannual but it sounds like it could be a bad map sensor.....How does it drive? Does the turbo seem like it works?

We were driving it down the road in Duvall, and it started to shake like crazy, then I pulled over, then it died. I drained the valve for the water in the fuel, added a quart of oil(it was a little low). It started back up, we drove back to the Safeway in Duvall, I reset the chip to stock position, and it made it home. Don't quite know what it was that made it run so weird.

Low oil in a 7.3 is bad news. It uses engine oil to ramp up the fuel pressure.

It's very common for chips to cause problems with their connection. Nothing some alcohol on a swab wont fix. :redneck:

Whered you get the ICP and TURBO BOOST info from?(scan tool?)If so what codes were set? If the oil is only one quart low, that will have no effect on performance....

Last edited:
Whered you get the ICP and TURBO BOOST info from?(scan tool?)If so what codes were set? If the oil is only one quart low, that will have no effect on performance....

Yeah it has a tool that increases performance, for towing, heavy towing, stock, and high performance. It also reads the DTC's. The codes are p1212, p1248

It did seem to run better when I reset the codes.

Does it run normal or just better? If it's normal then whatever was the problem is intermittant and will be hard to trace. I would just run it for a while and see what happens if it were mine. Just don't tow cross country.

Can it read scan data??

When it acts up you need to monitor your Injector Control Pressure ( ICP ) needs to be at least 500 psi at ilde or the Injector Driver Module won't fire the injectors.

You also need to see the Injector Pressure Regulator %

Default for unplugged is 750 psi for the ICP

Also check the nut on the IPR and make sure it is tight, if it is loose it will allow the electromagnet on the reguator to move causing pressure spikes or dips.

And since the PowerStoke does not fall under OBD II, there are most likely more codes stored that it can't read.

Example: I was working on a 2000 Dodge with a Cummins, on my laptop in Generic OBD II mode, I pulled two codes, by the using the VIN enhanced version I pulled 7 codes.

Also don't forget, these are famous for Cam Sensor failures, doesn't always leave a code. I would pickup a spare one anyways, they are down to about $20

Goodluck :D

I would also check your intercooler boots.......Sounds like the reader he has is like the superchips reader I have and it sees all codes as it's not a OBDII reader.

Can it read scan data??

When it acts up you need to monitor your Injector Control Pressure ( ICP ) needs to be at least 500 psi at ilde or the Injector Driver Module won't fire the injectors.

You also need to see the Injector Pressure Regulator %

Default for unplugged is 750 psi for the ICP

Also check the nut on the IPR and make sure it is tight, if it is loose it will allow the electromagnet on the reguator to move causing pressure spikes or dips.

And since the PowerStoke does not fall under OBD II, there are most likely more codes stored that it can't read.

Example: I was working on a 2000 Dodge with a Cummins, on my laptop in Generic OBD II mode, I pulled two codes, by the using the VIN enhanced version I pulled 7 codes.

Also don't forget, these are famous for Cam Sensor failures, doesn't always leave a code. I would pickup a spare one anyways, they are down to about $20

Goodluck :D

Yeah, sounds to me like you might have a cam sensor starting to take a crap--THE BEAUTY OF IT IS FORD JUST OPENED A RECALL ABOUT 3 WKS AGO FOR CAM SENSOR REPLACEMENT DUE TO INTERMITTANT DRIVEABILITY ISSUES!!! I called 3wks ago Mon to check if my '97 fell under the recall for the cruise control brake sw leaking brake fluid onto the module, causing fire; well it wasn't. However the service advisor went to say,and I quote," No Kevin your truck's VIN does not come up in that recall, but it does for the Cam Sensor.When would you like to bring it in?"I took mine in Monday and walked out with a new cam sensor installed----NO CHARGE!!! This recall applies to all 1997-2003 powerstrokes,according to local dealer...I'd start there.....give your local dealer a call, give 'em the VIN,and they'll get it taken care of...I'm gonna check what those two codes you've got relate to....

P1218 code; "CID stuck high"; there are several causes all relating to IDM(Injector Driver Module); possible wiring issue(poor connection,short to voltage,or open circuit); May have also been set due to cam sensor glitch!!(IDM doesn't know which cylinder is coming up)
p1248 code "No turbo boost Detected"; Turbo Boost Psi is monitored by Map sensor,which sends signal to PCM;check the vacuum line going to it, check for any intake leaks, possible bad MAP sensor; hope this helps.....