• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Big tires or little tires

This gets into the Big Tires need Big Axles arguement, which in turn makes Big Axles into Wide Axles, which in turn makes the Wide Axles need Wide Trails.

You NEVER see someone with a built Dana 60 running 33s. But you often see full width 60s running 40s, and driving up a tree to get thru the trail, which was originally built by some old timer in a Willys (which is waaaaay skinnier)

and for what it's worth, when's the last time you ran 33s Michael? Was it in the 90s?

I understand your point tony and I agree but that has nothing to do with what a rig of my nature can do with 33's or 38's.

Thats just a silly argument.

Do my 35" LTB's qualify as big tires, or little tires? It says "BIGGER" right on 'em!:redneck:

Do my 35" LTB's qualify as big tires, or little tires? It says "BIGGER" right on 'em!:redneck:

you sure its not "bogger" maybe booger even :haha: and sadly even with our 35s were still looked down on by all the big kids with their fancy big tires:booo:

IMO, new drivers with open diffs do the most damage. Mainly because they have to braf through everything. But on the other hand I have seen many well equiped rigs F **** up soooo.....

I say driver.

For the record I have 31's bolted to my built 60's right now. I understand what you mean though..

thats like your small tire run we bolt on little 33s N hit the trails. Just to give the winch a work out.

I've seen guys in real well built rigs with big ass rubber run trails in 2 wheel drive and tear **** up. My little sami runs 35's, it's light and they're pretty worn, doesn't do much damage even if I was to try.:redneck:plus even with the larger engine I still don't have enough power to tear **** up.:haha:It really boils down to the driver, knowing where your rig is at and what it takes to make an obstacle, and using a little finesse, = less damage. Having a metric **** ton of horsepower, open diffs, no skill,=more damage. Lots of asshats out there with 38's, 400hp and 25 lbs in the tires. My.02

Smaller tire with inexperinced people behind them do more damage then big tires with inexperinced people behind thme. but a experinced driver its all a matter of how they use the skinny pedal

I've seen guys in real well built rigs with big ass rubber run trails in 2 wheel drive and tear **** up. My little sami runs 35's, it's light and they're pretty worn, doesn't do much damage even if I was to try.:redneck:plus even with the larger engine I still don't have enough power to tear **** up.:haha:It really boils down to the driver, knowing where your rig is at and what it takes to make an obstacle, and using a little finesse, = less damage. Having a metric **** ton of horsepower, open diffs, no skill,=more damage. Lots of asshats out there with 38's, 400hp and 25 lbs in the tires. My.02

Wait a minute a sami with 35s. That is a big tire for a sami. :haha::haha:

sometimes i take my 42's off and run 28's but thats just to go in the garage. I don't want to displace my concrete slab by running the 42's on it, wait no its a height issue thats why i put the 28's on. If only builders took wheelin rigs into consideration when they build garages:booo:

My opinion is small tires do more damage....:stirpot:

I agree:awesomework. even if you have to rigs setup the same and they spin the tires in the same spot the big tires will hook up and get traction sooner than the small tires. SMALL TIRES ARE FOR TOYS.:fawkdancesmiley:

I say it depends on the driver. The same driver in 2 similar rigs one having a smaller tire and the other a larger tire the larger tire will go through most of the areas in WA better without spinning and tearing up the trail. Course i think it was alot of fun way back in the day going to Elbe on 33's and some spots took a couple hours of winching cuz you just couldnt drive lol

I think everyone should go out and wheel whatever tire they got, do your best to not tear **** up and leave the trails clean. Arguements trying to single out one group of wheelers or the other isnt getting anymore trails open...

Depends heavily on the driver

BUT

Take the same crappy driver in a big tired rig vs. a small tired one and the big tires will do FAR more damage to a trail than little tires could dream of.

Bigger tires usually have more horsepower behind them, larger diameteres making deeper holes, and the lugs may be spaced a further apart than smaller tires.

Bigger tires with a RESPONSIBLE AND EXPERIENCED driver will likely produce less damage than smaller tires with the same driver.

But look at how many people buy their way in to the sport, or enter the sport and instead of learning how to drive go straight to the big tires and lockers.

Had a rig with big tires, wheeled it it was great, went back to my old rig with little tires, wheeled it and hated life! Imho smaller tires do more damage
1. They have to use the winch all the time, and not everyone uses tree hugging straps so they will cause more damage to the trail

2. People with smaller tires have to use differant approach angles to get over an obsticle, which damages the trail

3. People with small tires build bypasses, and so do atv's!!!

4. People with small tires usually clog up the trail, forcing big rigs to make a bypass to either turn around or to go around

5. How many times have you seen an idiot trying to go thru a trail with a stock rig, that had no business being on that trail, and now you have to spend an entire day dragging an anchor behind you, because you are not the type of person to let an idiot get stranded out there by himself, so you help them out since u have big tires and you know you can actually do the trail.

I can go on about this subject for a while, but as long as there is a group of people talking about a subject, noone is ever going to agree, so this should be a poll, and just cast a vote and see the results