• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Billable hours?

64FJ40

Being strictly limited to the shade beneath my tree for my mechanicking, I'm clueless what the 'book' says for certain jobs.

Short story: I'm replacing the motor in my buddy's '98 Chevy K1500 because the block cracked last month during a freeze.

Now his insurance company might be paying for the whole deal (including paying me for the labor portion) and he mentioned that they might want me to keep track of my hours into it? I would've thought they'd go by a standard rate, but I haven't talked to the adjuster yet - that's later today.

So, in addition to a simple removal and replacement, I also have a top end disassembly to verify that the block was indeed cracked, but I'm not sure if that gets rolled into the overall total for the replacement hours or not...

I don't have any idea how this is even going to go, and frankly I wasn't planning to get paid for the job anyway, so it's not a big deal either way. I just want to have some idea of what I'm talking about when I talk to the adjuster.

Thanks,
Eric

Go to the link in this thread, enter the information, and go to the labor section under Repair Topics. Enter a rate for labor per hour as well as diagnostics, then hit set rates. Then you just chose from the drop downs for different jobs and it tells you what its supposed to be based on the vehicles options, etc. It will even keep a running total as you add things onto it, and has an option for a printable version when youre done.

I just used this tonight actually to give someone an idea of what a recent job I did would have cost at my old shop with their rates. :awesomework:

~T.J.

http://www.nw-wheelers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8968

EDIT: Just looked and it offers an R&R and recondition (rebuild) option, as well as just a replacement option. At first I was thinking, "no way it takes 43 hours..." Haha

Last edited:
Being strictly limited to the shade beneath my tree for my mechanicking, I'm clueless what the 'book' says for certain jobs.

Short story: I'm replacing the motor in my buddy's '98 Chevy K1500 because the block cracked last month during a freeze.

Now his insurance company might be paying for the whole deal (including paying me for the labor portion) and he mentioned that they might want me to keep track of my hours into it? I would've thought they'd go by a standard rate, but I haven't talked to the adjuster yet - that's later today.

So, in addition to a simple removal and replacement, I also have a top end disassembly to verify that the block was indeed cracked, but I'm not sure if that gets rolled into the overall total for the replacement hours or not...

I don't have any idea how this is even going to go, and frankly I wasn't planning to get paid for the job anyway, so it's not a big deal either way. I just want to have some idea of what I'm talking about when I talk to the adjuster.

Thanks,
Eric

Unless you can argru---your probably only going to get what book time for R&R. We get stiffed on DIAG time alot--or at least us techs do.

complete engine assy R & R shows 12.3hrs; THAT's figuring NO parts swapping!!! (meaning you have a ready-to-run replacement!!!)---usually our shop gets about 15 to 16 hrs to do a used engine swap (figuring in some cleanup/small parts swapping), which is about right...
As for the top end disassembly/teardown to verify the block's cracked---> That would be considered diagnostic time, which should be in addition to the R & R time; bottom line is you've got time into it to verify the issue, and should be worth something; I'm not saying rape the ins., but you SHOULD get some diagnostic time for that!!! (what kind of time do you have into it????)---to remove the intake assy & verify, I would think at least a couple hrs diagnosis time would be fair....:awesomework:

Thanks for all the info guys.

After talking to the guy, chances are pretty slim they're going to cover damage simply due to freezing temperatures (which I figured), but we'll see.