• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Boat props

fl-krawler

Took the ole' lady out on our boat this weekend for V-day. While cruising across Tampa Bay we apparently got far enough out of the shipping channel to hit shallow water in which the prop caught something and broke a section off one of the blades about 1" wide, the length of the prop blade. How critical is it that this be replaced soon? Will it beat out the lower unit bearings? Engine is a 2014 Mercury 115HP fourstroke.. No noticeable vibration after the prop was broken. Looks like a new prop is about $200..

544948_1070734892953135_7918661066436963111_n.jpg

It will be out of balance, no more than it cost to replace, i would, lots cheaper than fixing problems later on.

It will most definitely be out of balance and can cause lower unit damage. I would buy a replacement, then have that one rebuilt at a local prop shop for a spare. Prop shops can damn near rebuild the worse of damage.

I would have it fixed before taking it out again being out of balance will ruin the unit bearings,I hit a stump with the last boat I had took an inch off all three blades vibrated like a sob,I took it to my local boat shop and they fixed it up like a brand new one for a $100 sure beat the hell out of $400 for a new one.

get a new one I always have a spare onboard saved me more then once. I get alot off ebay

definitely repair or replace it. The cost of fixing a lower end or getting stranded later because is much greater than the cost of fixing that prop.

Good call a used mercruiser out drive cost me 1500 when we hit a stump in guntersville I only use aluminum props now

Ran mine for a year after cutting a point to close. Started making a weird noise and RPMs where higher than normal so I pulled the drain plug on the gear case. No prop damage but damn those lower units are expensive. Dropped it off yesterday to get a new one.

My dad usually screws up two props a year. There is a place around N. Alabama maybe Tennessee that he sends them to. I'll get the info if you want it.