• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bolted tires

Rockwells607

I've been talkin about it for two years, finally got around to trying a set, I started by cutting a set of old ground hawg 44" tires

Then I started messing around with how to put the holes for the bolts in, I use a woodys 3/8 snowmobile track drill first, it only made a 1/4" holes in tires and these old ground hawgs arnt stretching for **** so 1/2" bolt wasn't going through that hole so i copied that drill and made a bigger one out of O1 tool steel and hardend it, this makes a perfect hole for the 1/2" bolt and sails through the tires like a hot knife in butter

Now I'm on to buying and bolting the tires , I'm gonna have 112 bolts in each tires and its gonna be about 150$ in just hardware

I've been workin a little away each week, I'm making matching aluminum beadlock rings and re centering a pair of wheels rockwell pattern to match my buggy...I hope they pay off in the end cuz they are alot of work , when I'm done bolting I'm gonna weld the top nut of every bolt

Pretty neat project. How much weight will all the bolts add? Also curious bout total amount f time in this setup at end?

I will weigh em when I'm done, their gonna be heavy for sure....and time! Well I think that's the reason you don't see alot of them anymore....I have tons of time! But buying wheels and using a non cut better tire would take alot of time off, but it would also rank the price up

that sa cool tool i have a set of turf tires needing bolted how much would a guy have to pay for a toll like that to have it made

we always drill a smaller hole than the size of the bolt to keep them from pulling through hopefully you will not have this problem.

I tried a 3/8 hole first and 1/2 " wouldn't go through at all, this hole is 7/16 or so, these tires are old and hard I did put 5/8 flat washer inside on head of bolt... I I don't think I would do another set for someone they are a lot of work , I would send ya the drill I made though if ya wanna donut yourself

Back in the railbuggy days,for the bolts,we used what we called elevator bolts.They had a BIG head on them.They looked kind of like the feet on a refridgerator .Then pour the Green Slime to the tires.

What air pressure will you be running? Thinking about doing this myself and was wondering what air pressure everyone runs

peanut said:
that sa cool tool i have a set of turf tires needing bolted how much would a guy have to pay for a toll like that to have it made

You can buy a tool like that. I have a set that is used for making gaskets and such. I dont remember where I got them.

imarockfan said:
Back in the railbuggy days,for the bolts,we used what we called elevator bolts.They had a BIG head on them.They looked kind of like the feet on a refridgerator .Then pour the Green Slime to the tires.
Whiz bolts.

I am prolly gonna start with 15 psi so they don't flex so much the tube will rip but I've never run them so I'm not sure, I've got one tire almost done I will try to get some pics posted up

Be sweet titties to see that sum bitch warm up them tires on a night run like four big ass grinders going! :woot: