• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Bounce

Gadametz

This has probably been answered before but i have't found much. When crawling if I'm stuck on something and give it some woo-pow my jeep will just bounce violently instead of grip the rocks. Whats is the best thing to do to eliminate this?

sometimes a suck down winch helps a lot with that

After watching the vids. of our last race, I have some wheel hop that I need to address. I know I didn't have the suck down tight enough for the incline and I think I had the "dampening" too soft for racing. (That's on ORIs anyways)

Link geometry

and shock tuning

Trying to dampen big ol bouncy tires gripping and slipping is a feat.

Too much anti squat and anti dive makes the suspension want to raise up, so every little bit of traction lifts the vehicle up, then when the tire slips, drops the vehicle.

Used to be VERY common (10-15 years ago) to see linked rigs bouncing and hopping like crazy before people started figuring out the nuances of link suspension in a crawler.

laughing1
I'd say vertical link seperate on needs to be more on the frame side and maybe axle side too... or Shocks wore out

Here are the pics I found of your jeep (being helpful and posting pics of your setup when asking questions goes a long ways towards getting constructive answers BTW...)

Just from what I can see in these pics, I don't think the layout of the link geometry itself is terrible. It looks pretty standard for a linked jeep with a full frame...

BUT

Ride height is TOO HIGH (need shorter shocks, or relocate shock mounts higher)

Springs are probably too stiff also.

Looks like if you swapped to shorter shocks and dropped your ride height 3-4" that would get your links down to acceptable angles.

You shouldn't have to use shock damping to control wheel hop, there are plenty of rigs out there with $12 white shocks junkyard coils that don't have wheel hop.

IF you don't want to lower it, then I'd suggest building a sub frame (like a buggy) under the stock frame to mount your lower links more parallel to the ground.

12k Fairly Firm- If this is too high I i can reduce over time

[/quote]

Could be some slop in the Johnny joints...or whatever those are. :dunno:
Had a jeep a while back with some of those, had the guts half way hanging out.

Lower it, outboard rear shocks, double check spring rates, then start re mounting everything to correct any bad geometry

Step by step how I would work through that Jeeps issues from a glance without just throwing my purse at it. :driving:

Good news, at least you have good enough parts to just start with charging the rigs setup.

smbroady82 said:
sometimes a suck down winch helps a lot with that

After watching the vids. of our last race, I have some wheel hop that I need to address. I know I didn't have the suck down tight enough for the incline and I think I had the "dampening" too soft for racing. (That's on ORIs anyways)
Same thing was going on with whitey, but Mo didnt have a winch hooked up yet. I noticed the front end bouncing at AOP new years on yours. It can be very aggravating.

bamatoy said:
Same thing was going on with whitey, but Mo didnt have a winch hooked up yet. I noticed the front end bouncing at AOP new years on yours. It can be very aggravating.

The new treps are super stiff too, I'm only running 5psi in the front but still not much flex. I don't have much sprung weight on the front so I know that doesn't help. Maybe I'll drop it down to like 3ish psi and try that.