• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brakes

tbacon38

Anyone running manual master cylinders? Better question has anyone ever had them bypass inside the master cylinder after holding pressure on them? I had mine fail on the bounty hill Saturday and it could have gotten bad real bad. Im running wildwood master cylinders and they were working great going into the bounty hill, I have had them do this before but I found a brake line that was leaking replaced it and have not had an issue since then. As I was on my way back down to camp I had great brakes once again. Im just wondering if they could have let the pressure off inside the master cylinder. I am to the point of ripping out my entire brake system and starting over.

I have already started over once before replacing rotors, calipers, and pads that were all new when I built the buggy, replaced all that in March of this year, plus the line that I found was leaking.

I'm going to say most people are running manual MCs here. Hydroboost kits are getting more common but not the norm. I've run manual brakes with both Wilwood and CNC MCs. Never had the first problem. I run dual MCs too btw. What happened to you is real strange. Almost like you had an air pocket form.

I run Dual Master Cylinders, I even went back and bleed the brakes on Thursday to make sure there was no air. I would lock the tires down from WOT before I put it in the trailer. I am starting to get pissed off with it at this point.

redneckengineered said:
I'm going to say most people are running manual MCs here. Hydroboost kits are getting more common but not the norm. I've run manual brakes with both Wilwood and CNC MCs. Never had the first problem. I run dual MCs too btw. What happened to you is real strange. Almost like you had an air pocket form.

The only option offroad in my opinion is Manual brakes. Power brakes means no brakes when it dies and a hydroboost is worse in my opinion. Ive never had it happen on one of my buggies or rigs but my rzr has been doing exactly what your talking about for a bit. I haven't really worried with it though since it never leaves the farm though. Sounds like its getting an air pocket in it.

Have you talked to wilwood? I had a brake pad question (I run their calipers) and the guy I talked to was pretty helpful. Do you run dual pedals as well?

I run a single pedal. I have not talked to wildwood I was trying to figure it out before I give them a call but will prolly be doing that today.

tbacon38 said:
I run a single pedal. I have not talked to wildwood I was trying to figure it out before I give them a call but will prolly be doing that today.

Could it be an issue with the balance bar set up? I would think it would be pretty odd for both MC's to bypass fluid at the same time. Hope you get it lined out, crazy to see ya come flying back down the hill.

No valve have never ran them, we actually took them off the Hill Killer buggy and the brakes got better.

My old buggy had dual mc' with dual pedals the rear mc would bypass sometimes drop strait to the floor no resistance but luckily I would have front still. I rebuilt the bad mc before I sold it and it worked like new! For both of yours to do it at the same time is very unlikely! I would pull both mc off and pull the plungers out and see if you see anything bent or gouged. The thin metal plate that the umbrella seal is attached to was bent on mine?

The more likely cause thinking about it is the fluid getting boiled in the lines! Are your lines ran anywhere near your motor exhaust or anything hot?

None of the lines are ran close to anything that gets extremely hot, no hotter than under the hood of a normal car.

If you're bouncing around and fluid in the reservoir floats up as you push the pedal a bit you can suck air in. Or if you hit the brakes while you're upside down. Are you saying that they lost pressure and you never got it back or that it came back quickly afterwards and was fine?

I rolled on Primos once, folks rolled me back over, but at some point during the whole process I guess I hit the brakes while I was upside down. I ended up making it up but when I got to the top I almost rolled down backwards again when I found that I no longer had brakes. I had to do a quick trail bleed and all was fine again.

Lost them completely and gained them back several hours later just not as strong as they were when I started the day.

My gut says you just got some air in the lines. Try running more fluid in the MC so that it doesn't have as much space to bounce around maybe?

Brakes are overrated, quit being a wuss and grab a gear or the closest tree to stop like I do. :stir:

Are you hard lined all the way from MC to calipers? If not, you might have a soft line ballooning under pressure.

What about a pinched line somewhere?

Besides, your camshafts are too large for generating and vacuum I believe.

Any leakage around your calipers? :dunno:

I just watched the video,,, that had to SUCK going backwards with no brakes! !!! :****: