• Help Support Hardline Crawlers :

Brand and Cost of Coilovers

Freeride

I've read a lot about the benefits of coilovers lately.

Are any particular brands recommended, and what's the out-the-door cost per corner?

I've read a lot about the benefits of coilovers lately.

Are any particular brands recommended, and what's the out-the-door cost per corner?

I'm sure you already know this, but i figure i'd mention it, that air shocks are an option too...not my first choice, but could be for someone else if they are looking for a "cheaper alternative":eeek:

i've heard of roadracer i think? they're red and have the roadrunner emblem on them...not sure of price, but they might not get mentioned.:corn:

FOX, King, Radflo, Swayaway.
Depends on size and with or w/o reservoir, brand of coils, etc.
FOX, Swayaway and Radflo are going to be less $$ than the King's.
But for a remote reservoir, 2" body, 12"/14" FOX or Radflo with dual rate hardware and coils is right at about $500 a corner, $550 is with zero rate tenders.

i've heard of roadracer i think? they're red and have the roadrunner emblem on them...not sure of price, but they might not get mentioned

RaceRunner? Has a dinosaur looking dealio on them? They are made by Swayaway.

Last edited:
There is a pair of used KING 2.5" x 16 3way(1 rebound,2 compression circuits) bypass shocks on one of my benches at work you could get for "cheap";)

I'd go with leafs before running Radflo's. They're overall appearance isn't one in which instills quality.

Please explain their difference in internal's? what seperate's their quality from a SAW or king? I have no idea and would really like an educated opinion.

I'd base the shocks on the type of suspension and how the vehicle is going to be used. If the rig is leaf sprung, driven on the streat and mostly run on trails, I would go with a quality standard shock absorber. If you are running a link type suspension then air shocks or coilovers depending on what type of driving you will be doing. Tuning air shocks and coilovers can be tricky. I don't think I would use airshocks on anything that is going to be driven on the road. For the money on coilovers I would make sure all the other stuff was done first like gears, lockers, tires, seats, cage, harneses, well built drive train, overall reliability etc.

Last edited:
In my personal experience I would go with a sway a way with king in a close second. The reason I choose SAW over king is that they are a very easy shock to work on, where a king takes a little more time for some of the more basic repair's or add on's. They are both also easy to get part's for. Really though, what kind of use will you're jeep see? 90% of vehicle's on coilover's have never even done a re-valving and love them, it's just a matter of how they will be used.

In my personal experience I would go with a sway a way with king in a close second. The reason I choose SAW over king is that they are a very easy shock to work on, where a king takes a little more time for some of the more basic repair's or add on's. They are both also easy to get part's for. Really though, what kind of use will you're jeep see? 90% of vehicle's on coilover's have never even done a re-valving and love them, it's just a matter of how they will be used.

Really--you think the kings are a tad harder? Now granted its been a # of years since I tore a full set apart but they seemed pretty close... Either one was messy though,lol....

Really--you think the kings are a tad harder? Now granted its been a # of years since I tore a full set apart but they seemed pretty close... Either one was messy though,lol....

Replace a tender slider (the right way) on both and tell me which one is easier.

Their appearance or how they work. Just curious as to what you have encountered.

I did say "appearance".

Having run previous coilovers, that had less than ideal construction, I see some of the same exterior mechanical characteristics with the Radflo's.

Personal preference, I'd never buy them.

But, I ain't no fabrication God (God = non-wheeling, floor sweeping, midget) at some local fab shop which I'm sure has built dozens of buggies with various coilovers and rebuilt/revalved them all on his own along with probably designed his own coilover for which he has applied for a patent :rolleyes:

I did say "appearance".

Having run previous coilovers, that had less than ideal construction, I see some of the same exterior mechanical characteristics with the Radflo's.

Cool beans, just curious as to what you had ran across. In looking at them on the shelf right next to a Fox and Swayaway, they each have their pros & cons on function and build. We have done a fair amount of both the Radflo's and Fox, and haven't had any more issues with the Radflos than the Fox units.

Cool beans, just curious as to what you had ran across. In looking at them on the shelf right next to a Fox and Swayaway, they each have their pros & cons on function and build. We have done a fair amount of both the Radflo's and Fox, and haven't had any more issues with the Radflos than the Fox units.

aren't Radflo's an airshock converted to a coilover?

No, they do have air shocks though. They make a full range of emulsion shocks, various sized coilovers, bypass shocks and other items. They do also have a threaded body air shock (Like Rock Equipments I believe), but I haven't used that model.